Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
today I came across a lever action Mossberg in 30-30 that I have never seen before.
I mistook it for a Marlin 336 from 5 feet away. It was an older Mossberg, but did not have a model name or number stamped on it.
The seller (gun show) did not know its model either, but thought it was made for Mossberg by Marlin.
The rifles stock was practically identical to a 336 as was the receiver housing, barrel and forend.
The bolt did not look like any Marlins I am familiar with, but the lever sure looked and felt the same when worked. It was very smooth.
It had a safety, at least I think it was a safety, on the left side of the receiver and it flipped up and down.
The bluing was worn thin and most of the rifle and the stock had a few dings in the wood, but it was in mechanically good condition.
Has anyone ever seen one of these? I am familiar with the Mossberg 464 and this is not one of them.
Andrew
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
As I recall, it was a copy that was really made by Mossberg. I only seen one in my life, but it's about 95% Marlin design with the other 5% Mossberg. Patents don't last forever. Just look at the 1911's, AR-15's, and others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
I saw one in a deer camp in Maine mid 70's. I remember I thought it was a Marlin until the owner told me. It shot good and he killed a doe with it.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top