Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently completed a custom Marlin LeveRecon build for a customer headed out for an Alaska moose hunt (see the pic of the huge bear track he found while on the hunt!). His butt stock and forearm were coated in our new textured, durable, all-weather coating. Turned out to be the perfect "tough as nails" finish for a hunter - no slippage, no nicks, no scratches, no water damage, no problem. Our steel-epoxy coating + the KG Gun Kote finish on all of the metal parts makes this LeveRecon extremely durable. That in addition to all of performance mods we do to it for superior performance.

Custom Alaska Hunt Marlin LeveRecon (new textured, all weather coating on stocks + KG Gun Kote on metal + bear scratches/print)

LeveRecon-Custom-LP.jpg
Alaska-Hunt-BW.jpg

Marlin LeveRecon with new textured, all-weather stocks + KG Gun Kote on metal
RPP-LeveRecon-Texture.jpg
RPP-LeveRecon-Texture2.jpg
RPP-LeveRecon-Texture-Shell-Carrier.jpg

Thoughts?
Adam

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I've always been a wood & blue kinda' guy for mine, but think these look good/functional tough weather environments etc.; and if I lived in say Alaska, might have to change some. Like the #6 Alaska Custom with "paw print" on side there.
Oh, and cool Loops too... :biggrin:
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I like the metal coating but that buttstock is butt ugly. I could handle the coating on it but the cut out with the bullets stuck in there lacks a little or a lot as far as looks go. Of course that's my opinion and ya'll did ask.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I like the looks of everything......... Except the cutout.

Love the textured look though. Say can you do a rougher/coarser texture say to a Glock grip?.?.????

BloodGroove4570

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that paw print is awesome. But around here it'd have to be a hoof print lol.
Thanks! Luckily my partner Patrick Gardner is a gifted artist and can draw/design almost anything. I'm confident a hoof print would be easy peezy for him to do. :)

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Before my stroke I actually crawled thru brier and bushes ether on my hands and knees or on my belly. Since my stroke I still do but a little slower:biggrin:. What I would worry about with the way the bullets are I would have to wipe them down before loading. But also I am not a traditionalist and like a good synthetic stock.

Reactions: Mike 338
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the looks of everything......... Except the cutout.

Love the textured look though. Say can you do a rougher/coarser texture say to a Glock grip?.?.????

BloodGroove4570
We do Glock modifications as well as Springfield XD and 1911. For Glocks, we can do paint texture or we also do stippling in the plastic along with contouring and trigger/action work. I've included a couple of photos and you can check out our Glock services here.
Glock-Make-It-Your-Own.jpg
RPP-Glock-Skulls.jpg

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before my stroke I actually crawled thru brier and bushes ether on my hands and knees or on my belly. Since my stroke I still do but a little slower:biggrin:. What I would worry about with the way the bullets are I would have to wipe them down before loading. But also I am not a traditionalist and like a good synthetic stock.
Good for you! I hear what you're saying about the ammo carrier and crawling on the ground. The o-rings hold the ammo very tight but you're right that they would get some dirt and brush on them. As for the stocks, just to clarify, those are the original wooden Marlin stocks stripped, sanded, shaped and then coated.

Reactions: mjadams61
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the metal coating but that buttstock is butt ugly. I could handle the coating on it but the cut out with the bullets stuck in there lacks a little or a lot as far as looks go. Of course that's my opinion and ya'll did ask.
Your opinion definitely counts! Some people really like the ammo carrier and some prefer a painted stock without it. Others like our Classic Custom package which refurbishes the metal and the wood (hand rubbed oil finish). We love Marlin's and hopefully offer something for everyone. We're constantly trying new things and have lots of R&D in the works (stay tuned).

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I love it!! Especially the options... If I'm going to go to the expense of having a gun customized.....well, I want it to look customized, that stock may not be for everyone but I will definitely go for it!! Especially with a working gun! We're going to be doing some business, definitely come bonus time!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
WOW didnt go to your site till now and read what you do to the stocks. I have laminated on my 336w and I know it puts a little more weight on the rifle compared to real wood, so later on I was planning on getting some boyd stocks and I was wondering would it be better to send the stocks unfitted with rifle to get the coatings on both wood and metal and let y'all fit the stocks or should I fit the stocks first myself and then send everything to you. Or do y'all supply the stocks and fit them in house.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW didnt go to your site till now and read what you do to the stocks. I have laminated on my 336w and I know it puts a little more weight on the rifle compared to real wood, so later on I was planning on getting some boyd stocks and I was wondering would it be better to send the stocks unfitted with rifle to get the coatings on both wood and metal and let y'all fit the stocks or should I fit the stocks first myself and then send everything to you. Or do y'all supply the stocks and fit them in house.
Thanks for checking us out! It's better for us to blast, sand and paint the parts and then fit them. We're sticklers for making sure it's a seamless fit! You simply send the rifle and we'll take it apart, do the work and ship it back ready to shoot! Send us an email or call us and we can talk through paint options and anything else you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

Reactions: mjadams61

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think if you could make a cartridge trap similar to these but more aesthetically pleasing, you'd have a real winner.

I know I've seen pictures and read somewhere about, I think Jeff Cooper or Eric Ching, having a spring loaded cartridge trap built into the bottom of his stocks that had like a plastic cover that would slide up into the stock. Something like that.

If you are looking for even more RnD projects :)

Edit: Ahh, here is an example from the Clifton scout rifle 4085644987_65eedeed9a_o.jpg

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think if you could make a cartridge trap similar to these but more aesthetically pleasing, you'd have a real winner.

I know I've seen pictures and read somewhere about, I think Jeff Cooper or Eric Ching, having a spring loaded cartridge trap built into the bottom of his stocks that had like a plastic cover that would slide up into the stock. Something like that.

If you are looking for even more RnD projects :)

Edit: Ahh, here is an example from the Clifton scout rifle View attachment 120202
Good suggestion. We've been thinking about a design similar to that but have not finalized anything yet. Will keep everyone posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
120 Posts
i would love to show up at long range sniper match with any of these set ups and throw uso optic on it and run it through the paces of a match think they would rock

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really like the all weather capability of the mods, which is why I have sent my .444 to you guys to make those mods (except the butt stock/ammo carrier). Can't wait to get it back and check it out!

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
I just don't feel comfotable with rounds pointed downward or mostly exposed to the AK elements. I was in the Army stationed some 20 years ago at Ft. Wainwright, AK. I did a LOT of hunting in the Brooks range area where temps could get down in the -50 range. A pouch mounted on the stock with a secure closure would make more sense to me.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I like the look but the cut out stock for the cartridge holder is a no go for me. Something along the lines of what Sneakybuffalo suggested would most likely receive more appeal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts