Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my issue is as follows. Please offer only helpful advice. I have a Marlin 336. I have disassembled it and completely cleaned all of the parts thoroughly and reassembled exactly as per marlins directions. Everything functions fine and the bolt slides right up into place and the lever closes as it should. The problem: It won't open back up!!! I have disassembled and reassembled several times trying to eliminate the problem and I just don't see it. Anyone else have this problem? What am I doing wrong? Everything is clean and lightly oiled. Everything is in its proper location, the bolt isn't stuck because it slides back and forth manually before lever is installed. I have not reassemble the tube yet. Would that make a difference? Im sure it's something trivial that I am just overlooking. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Did you touch the base block screws on top of the receiver, the 4 little screws? We will get you going again so dont get worried, im sure its something illy were not seein!!!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Did you do any sanding or metal removing on the lever? It sounds like its coming out of the bolt to me...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a 1970's model. There is no safety switch on the side of the receiver. And The only holes on top of the receiver was where it was drilled and tapped for scope mounts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. it's not coming out of the bolt. It rocks it back and forth with ease until I close it completely and then it locks up. I am baffled

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Was the bolt was fully inserted into the receiver when you re-installed the lever?..........If so, thats your problem! The bolt needs to be only 2/3's the way "home" and the tip if the lever MUST be inserted into the slot in the bolt.

Tom

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know what happend to my last entry so sorry if this shows up twice, but the lever isn't coming out of the bolt. It rocks back and forth smoothly until you close it completely and then its locked. im baffled.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It could be the lever plunger. With the lever open, check to see how stiff it is. Also the angle on the bottom side. Sometimes they will close easily but open hard due to the angle of engagement on the latch pin. Play with it a little and you will see what I mean. A little sandpaper or stoning might be the answer.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
hmmmm, on the inside of near the triggerguard, how does that anvil looking plunger look, is it running horizontal to the receiver?
and when you installed the screw in the bottom front of the trigger housing, did you make sure NOT to mix it up with the screw in the lower side of receiver? That could do it, try switching those 2 screws, if i remember right at the moment, the longer goes in the bottom...

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Was the bolt was fully inserted into the receiver when you re-installed the lever?..........If so, thats your problem! The bolt needs to be only 2/3's the way "home" and the tip if the lever MUST be inserted into the slot in the bolt.

Tom
Pay Very Close attention to this post, i didnt think of this to start, but this is The Man when it comes to Marlins!!!!!! Period.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Make sure when you install the lever that the bolt is 2/3 out and you gt the lever into the slot it needs to be in the bolt!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I have it pretty much narrowed down to the plunger. Ive worked it and worked it but it still just wont let loose to open it. Suggestions?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts