Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to confess I'm probably a diehard Winchester man even though I own a Marlin "Safety" .30-30 that will still knock down a deer at 150 yards.... but you guys have helped me tremendously in the past, so the only dum question is the one you don't ask. I just had a Marlin lever come into the shop, receiver, barrel, mag tube and forearm. most every in the receiver is missing, and also the buttstock. Going to try to work up a rough estimate for the customer on if it is even possible to restore it. The muzzle measures .38 caliber ( worn) and the serial number is 396953. It appears to be a short cartridge judging by the ejection port. The Marlin tables I've found go up to 355300 for the year 1906 manufacture so this is a real oddity. it has a octagon barrel and a full length magazine. Any help identifying it so I can do some research would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys again. Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like an 1894 possibly .38-40.
You guys are a gold mine,,, always thanks, took some machine cloth and cleaned the tang and yes it says 1894 (duh). Did some more research and found that it's probably pre ww1 but after 1906 when the serial numbers ended in 355300. Does it seem I'm on the right track ? Not trying to blow my own horn but I have done several "period correct" restorations and the finished guns were appraised very high. It appears to me this is a good candidate for a restoration. Some of them take me years to find the correct parts and wood but again this rifle appears to worth it. thanks. Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictures ?
My laptop is on it's last legs, I had a job for 20 years.. sometimes got 150 calls a day, my phone believe it or not has no apps and I will pass from this world somewhat computer illiterate ... and proud of it. Not meant to offend but I smell like gun oil not aftershave. The rifle looks ( what I have of it ) looks just like a marlin 1894 pictured online with the octagon barrel. Again all you guys have been a wealth of information.... now if you want to talk winchesters thanks Joe

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Look at the computer like any other tool. Letters and snail mail are good but as they say time is money. It maybe worthwhile to take some classes in order to make you more efficient and to spend your time being more productive. A friend, relative or even classes if they are available can really help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gee... would it not have the caliber marked right on the barrel, like every other firearm?
D Harry... you are correct, the caliber..38-40 was stamped on TOP of the barrel next to the receiver, not on the side like most winchesters. Not sounding more simple than I am, this gun was retrieved from a house fire. The gun itself didn't burn, even though the buttstock is missing but the gun ( metal and wood ) are seriously blackened, so that's one reason we're scratching around like we are trying to identify this rifle as precise as we can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look at the computer like any other tool. Letters and snail mail are good but as they say time is money. It maybe worthwhile to take some classes in order to make you more efficient and to spend your time being more productive. A friend, relative or even classes if they are available can really help.
Thank all you guys for your help again.... but at my age my john deere tractor is the only other tool I try to be more productive on.... with the price of diesel....Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts