Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to see a new Marlin Model in .17 HMR with a good Pistol grip like a 336W Model in 30/30.
If this Rifle would have a big lever, a full tubular magazine and a little scope in a package, it would top everything else around.
And I'm pretty sure Marlin would sell this like candy in a school.

In the past I have seen an Winchester in that calibre, but did not have the permit to buy at this time.
(We are limited to 2 firearms per 6 months ???, pure communism, :-\ )

At the moment (as far as I know) there is only one Brand (Henry) producing a .17 HMR LAR, and for my opinion it is in a very poor design and processing.

Do you know of any other brand still manufacturing LAR's in .17 HMR?
What do you think?!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Henry is the only LA 17hmr I have seen either. Like you, I think this would be a no-brainer for Marlin.

wally

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Just like the 22 mag, it will have to be built off the 1894 action. Muchly expensive!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Halwg said:
Just like the 22 mag, it will have to be built off the 1894 action. Muchly expensive!
Hal, I am no engineer so I dont understand the "why to" behind the "how to" on most things mechanichal. Why would a 17hmr have to be built on the 1894 action. Why would a 39 action not work for either?

wally

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
BUBSDAD said:
Hal, I am no engineer so I dont understand the "why to" behind the "how to" on most things mechanichal. Why would a 17hmr have to be built on the 1894 action. Why would a 39 action not work for either?

wally
im no engineer either but my guess would be the 39 action is too short

·
Registered
603 Posts
is the .17 mach2 still around?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Its still around. You could make one of those from a 39 I bet. But I guess you'd want to use those soft tipped bullets in the mag tube...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
That is true. Didn't think about that...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Oh yes, the bolt on the model 39 does indeed lock.

The lever cams it into the closed position and holds it there.

If it was not locked, it would open on firing.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It would have to be a new design, the 1894 is way too big, even though it was once adapted to .22 WMR. The 39 is locked by the lever propping the bolt shut against the pivot spuds on each receiver half. JUST adequate for .22 LR high-speeds, and had to be adapted for high-speeds. Won't take the pressures of .22 Mag/.17 HMR. I suppose the 56/57 design could be resurrected, didn't sell very well the first time around, though. And the way stuff is coming out of Remington these days, would you trust them to do it right?

Stan S.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Stan S
"And the way stuff is coming out of Remington these days, would you trust them to do it right?"
Hi Stan, this question is surely justified, considering the quality problems they have at the moment, but it would be a start in the right direction. There is a big gap in the marlin lever production line in this calibre. ::)

@D Harry
"Nothing wrong with a Henry."
Do you have one in .17 HMR? Are you satisfied with it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts