Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know what Marlin--itis is, how many here have or are getting Dillon--itis symptoms ? ( Like Me )

Steve ;)

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Don't wanna talk about it. :-X

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Another *&^^$*()*^ thing you just had to bring up! :D

Just for that Get this tune out of your Head: "It's a Small World after all"..... ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Just received my latest Dillon "fix" this morning!

Thanks..... :-X :eek:

Ed

·
Registered
784 Posts
l don't mind talking about Dillon-itis. You never have to buy replacements , whatever you have will last your lifetime and many more

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dillon is the only way I know to to crank out 300 to 400 rounds an hour without rushing. That said, It's all about how much you shoot, really. I have owned and used 550Bs, 650s, and 1050s. There was a time when I shot 1000 -1200 rounds a week of 38 super. The 650 and the 1050 are almost too much. Too much going on all at once. As the automation increases the loss of control increases and the SNFU size increases. I currently own a two 550Bs and I sincerely believe it is the best value. Yes you must handle each case and each bullet as well as indexing but I like that better than bullet and case feeders with auto indexing. Most folks fall between the 550B and the 650. Some own one of each and load rifle on the 550B and pistol on the 650. If your chosen sport includes high quantities of ammo the Dillon is a necessity!

Changing shell plates, dies and powder is quick and easy. The worst part is going back and forth from large primers to small primers as it takes some tweaking each time and the settings are not maintained. That is why I have two 550Bs. One is set up with large primers and one is set up with small primers and that is how I chose which press to use.

I still load 243, 25-06, 30-30, 35R, and 45-70 by hand and 38 super, 40S&W, 45ACP, and 223 on the 550Bs. If the quantities of a one of the others get to a point where keeping up with the the shooting is a strain I will get the shell plate and a empty tool head for it and set it up on the 550B. I have 100% confidence in the 550B for precision and most of the Ammo shot in NRA position rifle comes off Dillon presses, 223, 243, and 308.

I have marlin-itis but Dillons are just smart tools.

Once you own a 550B you clearly understand what all the fuss is about. ;)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I got a 550 and 3 square deals. Bought one SD new and picked up the other two as good deals I could not pass up.

The Square Deal loads 6 calibers, 550 loads 9 calibers and a Lee Classic Turret loads 11 calibers. There is a Rockchucker for case forming .40-65, .357 Herrett, 7x30 Waters and dies that make small quantities. Almost everything (not the .17 M4) shoots cast, lots and lots of cast!

·
Registered
661 Posts
After owning my 550 for 28 years, the roller bracket assembly broke off at the bolts - snapped clean off. It's the part that has the primer catcher under it and is attached at the sizer/deprimer station - it moves the primer bar.

I called Dillon and had a new one installed on my press in 2 days - no charge.

You can not beat that kind of customer service and care!

·
Registered
359 Posts
dugout said:
Changing shell plates, dies and powder is quick and easy. The worst part is going back and forth from large primers to small primers as it takes some tweaking each time and the settings are not maintained. That is why I have two 550Bs. One is set up with large primers and one is set up with small primers and that is how I chose which press to use.
I have a 550, 650 and 1050. The 550 says set up for large primers only. I use it to load my rifle ammo and handgun ammo that I don't shoot in large qunatities (480 Ruger, 41 Mag, etc). I have heard that the 550 takes more tweaking when changing primer sizes so I have just left it as is since it came from the factory.

The 650 is used for my handgun ammo that I shoot in large quantities, and I have a complete primer assembly for large and small primers. You can change the assembly out in just a few minutes.

The 1050 is for 223 only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts