Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that wants to sell me his Marlin in .41 mag. He's asking $650.00. Is that a decent price?? It's like new, but no box, maybe the manual. Just wondering if thats in the ball park? I don't see many in .41 mag.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Maybe a little high- but just maybe. If you want one- grab it. If you like the 41 and maybe already load for it- grab it.

The 41 is hard to come by- kinda scarce. One in good shape is a real find. I have a couple of these already and would consider another one at that price.

M

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I doubt you will ever get one thats in great condition for much less...the only way they will ever come down lower is if they produce another run...but nowadays, would the new ones even be worth buying??..me, myself, I would jump on it since you know the former owner and how well its been treated and the fact that wont be paying taxes and for any shipping etc. like you would for something from a shop or gunbroker just makes the deal even more attractive...plus..as a FG owner, this is one of the sweetest shooting '94's ever..mine one holes Federal Fusions at 50yds...its the perfect short range woods gun for deer and piggies in my book

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My FG is a great shooting gun, the price might be a littel high but like Calvin said they are pretty hard to find and one in great shape and from someone you know I wold jump on it.See if he'll through in some reloding eqpt. or ammo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a little .41 ammo and about 200 rds of once fired brass. Now he's talking about trading my 1895 45-70 for it, but I don't know if I want to part with that. He saw the one on Gunbroker for $900. and thinks he's sitting on a gold mine.
I told him, they can ask all they want, but what have they actually sold for??

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
brokenaxl, First welcome to MO and 41 magnumitus, if you do find a 1894fg you won't regret it. Marlinitis is the next step in the process of the disease. That is how it happened to me. ;)

I have a 2007 model and it is a sweet shooting rifle indeed. But at 4900.00 I might would consider for a moment..... OK I'm done considering I'll just keep it, ;D ;D probably would never get it anyway. :D ;D

I have seen a few on GB as of late and they were priced way high at 900.00 +. I think I would rather get 357 mag. or either the 44 mag or 45 colt. Also a few 44-40 and some 32-20 once in awhile for a better price than that.

I hope you find what will fit your desires and then some.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
tell him to get real, ..keep your 1895...and that the moron asking $4900 is a head case ::)

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
For $650, I'd swallow hard and dig real deep in my wallet for that one. Like others have said, they didn't make those in great quantity and the new prices on 1894s are climbing stupidly fast. I have an 1894SS and a Cowboy Ltd in 41 mag, and those will be the last pistol cartridge rifles I'd let go of but I am a certified loony and like the oddball cartridges.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I know $650 is serious money...but there won't be anymore 41's made with the JM stamp. So, if I could afford it, I'd buy it. ;D

·
Registered
367 Posts
$650.00??? Buy it!

A good friend of mine has an 1894 in .41 Magnum, and it is one incredible little rifle.

When I was running the High Power Matches at my sportsman's club, I put on a "Sporting Rifle - Any Rifle/Any Sight" match, and my friend took 1st Place in the Centerfire - Open Sights category.
Granted, all shots were at 100 yards, but, he was wearing the 'black' out of that target. "Cleaned" each stage. Not one shot in the white.

He uses a 210 gr Hornady bullet and W-296 powder.

Don't resist it. Buy it, for $650.00!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bought one of the first run .41 mags back in 88'. Love that rifle and the cartridge. Got a Ranch Dog mold for it last year and looking forward to casting some heavy boolits this summer. :D

CD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about that 4900. was a mistake - I guess I did n't press the shift button hard enough!!! It was $900. - I'm probably going to just buy it out right. Got the price to $600.00. My 1895 45-70 is too nice to trade. He needs a little brother anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you decide you don't want it, would you please e-mail me the info? I only have one, and it gets lonesome and wants a friend to talk to!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Now thats more like it..$600 is fair considering the guns value in the real world....if it really was $4900..I'd have been very upset if you had not called me to moon that guy so he could kiss my big hairy one too :mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still haggling with the guy. Once I seal the deal, I'll try and get some pictures posted.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Since you got it down to $600, take the other $50 and put it towards a Williams peep sight... ;D ...that's what my FG is wearing and it works fantastic!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I paid more than 6 bills for both of my 41s. Unless I missed it you have not mentioned if it's a FG or an S model. This means little to nothing for those of us afflicted by the dreaded 41 magnumitus. I am in deep lust for an S model but I'd would shove $600 over for another FG and might give a $50 tip just because. :eek: Of course I spend money on guns I really want like the world is ending tomorrow, so I am no moral compass. ;D

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I did end up getting this 1894 .41 mag FG -- For $500.00 and a ride to his mechanic to pick up his car. The fuel pump went out and he needed money !!! :eek: Good things come to those that wait !! ;D

I'll work on getting some pictures posted.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Congrats broknaxl, you did real good , that is a fair price for sure.

I payed 529.00 NIB Oct. 2008 for my FG and I would pay that much again in a heartbeat. Enjoy your new rifle and be sure to get a pic to post.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts