Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have seen a couple of references to Marlins in caliber 30 WCF. To my knowledge Marlin never made such a rifle that was so marked. Has anyone ever seen one.....if so post some pictures, please.

·
Super Moderator
17,222 Posts
Is this true? Found this info on other site.

".30 WCF and .30-30 are the exact same thing. Marlin didn't want to put the name "Winchester" on their 1893 so they renamed it the .30-30."

This on another site...

As chambered in the Winchester Model 1894 carbine and rifle, it was also known as .30 Winchester Center Fire or .30 WCF. When the cartridge was chambered in the Marlin Model 1893 rifle, rival gunmaker Marlin used the designation .30-30 or .30-30 Smokeless. The added -30 stands for the standard load of 30 grains (1.9 g) of early smokeless powder, according to late-19th century American naming conventions for black powder-filled cartridges. Both Marlin and Union Metallic Cartridge Co. also dropped the Winchester appellation, as they did not want to put the name of rival Winchester on their products.[SUP][4][/SUP]

So at a guess, I'd say Marlin never stamped a rifle .30WCF...

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I've read on the internet :flute: that Marlin worked with UMC to develop their rifle for Winchester's "30 Winchester Smokeless" cartridge which was officially named 30 WCF by Winchester. It was UMC who named it .30-30, not Marlin, but I wasn't there. That is the reason Marlin used .30-30 per my limited resources.

Here's a web article put together by our own 30WCF.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/3030history.htm

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Jim,
I haven't seen such a rifle and a look at some early Marlin catalogs shows that they always refer to the
caliber as .30-30 Marlin or .30-30 Smokeless.

w30wcf

Reactions: dhansen and BFPGW

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've never seen a Marlin marked ".30 WCF", but I've seen a lot marked 30-30.....

If you find one, let us know...........

That would be interesting.............

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
When Marlin made ammo, they got sued for using the 30WCF logo, so they changed it to Marlin 30-30.
If Marlin made rifles before that sue date, then they most likely would have been marked 30WCF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts