Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marlin "Illustrated Price List"

Hi guys, I picked up a Marlin Illustrated Price List for 12 bucks. It is a book that looks like a catalog to me. It is dated January of 1905. The book is pristine and the binding isn't even creased from opening it. My questions are, is this a catalog? Also, does anyone have any idea what it might be worth? THANKS!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts

No the illustrated price list wasn't a regular Marlin catalog, but rather a counter item given to dealers. These are still nice little items, as most either don't exist, or when found, are in bad shape. Great reference item also!
As for value, I'd guess if it's original, it would be very valuable, but not as much as a catalog. They have the same info as a catalog, but a plain cover. Unfortunately, most of these are reprints, and if your's has a green cover, it is a reproduction. Still worth twice what you paid, but not what an original would be worth.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts

Almost forgot, if you send or post a picture, I can tell you for sure. I also have one of these, and can send you a picture to see if you have the same repro. So far they've copied the 1905 Phil Bekart Marlin catalogue, and the 1897 Marlin catalog. They both have info inside that is identical to the originals, but the wrong color covers. I think the original printers did this on purpose to avoid anyone passing these off as originals, but I've still seen some folks (possibly unknowingly) trying to sell them as originals.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi Marlinman93, thanks for the information! I haven't figured out how to post a picture on here, but the cover on the book is an olive green color with black printing so I guess it must be a reprint. The paper used still makes this book look quite old, do you know when they reprinted these and why? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts

The data inside was a photocopy reprint, which is why it looks so good. If it is compared to an original, it is a bit too white. I haven't found out when these were printed, but they've been around for awhile.
They're a great source of information, and fun to read. I'd guess with the small amount of original catalogs available, and the concern of owners to thumb through the originals, that this would be reason enough to reprint them. I wish they'd reprint all of the old Marlin catalogs, but put a current printing date inside, so we would know them for repros. If they would, I probably would never have bought my originals. I only wanted them for the information, so a copy would have been fine.
I'm always concerned that a page will break loose, or tear when I reference my originals, so I go to my 1897, and 1905 copies whenever they have the answers I need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts