Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a really nice, potentially unusual Marlin. I am really happy with it, and it is in near mint condition. However, as no one around here has seen one like it, I have some questions!

It was apparently purchased form the PX at a military base in Japan in the mid 50's, owned by a now retired Officer. He really kept his guns in fine condition! The SN is AA 48XX

This rifle is tight, stiff, and shows and extremely low amount of use... My gun smith friend says it could have been refinished, as it is in "too good" of shape... but it doesn't add up. The bluing is really nice, very deep blue/black and all letters and stamps are perfect. Everything seems to be absolutely correct.
Look at the finish on this thing! Was there a deep blue finish used on some of these? This is much nicer than most I have seen.

Here are photos taken by the seller: I can take and send more if specific views are needed.
IMG_8555Web by shortside, on Flickr

IMG_8557Web by shortside, on Flickr

Thanks for any answers or thoughts you might have!

Shortside

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Nice rifle. Congrats.

No Mountie, at least no standard grade Mountie, will have had a checkered stock like that. The stock was either replaced or the gun was a special edition, deluxe edition, whatever.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Nice rifle. Congrats.

No Mountie, at least no standard grade Mountie, will have had a checkered stock like that. The stock was either replaced or the gun was a special edition, deluxe edition, whatever.
Also with a AA, serial number, it was made in 1965, not the 50's.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That looks like very nice checkering. Would not matter to me who done the work I would be proud to own that Mountie. Very nice Marlin to own.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Welcome from Micanopy Florida. I don't have a answer for you but I think you have a great looking 39 either way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very sharp 39A!! If you do your research on here, you can probably date your 39A. Welcome to marlin owners!!

Lol noticed it has been dated :)

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Beautiful work on that rifle. very Nice and congratulations on the purchase.
Welcome to the Forum, you will soon get some more answers. Great knowledge on here

·
Registered
826 Posts
Congrats on the Mountie. It looks to be in great shape. However...At no point that my Marlin books indicate was there ever checkering on Marlins of your vintage? My guess is the retired officer had a buddy that was into checkering and he thought it would look better checkered. That of course would be a matter of ones own opinion. In any event enjoy it and shoot it. Just be aware that if you ever go to trade it or sell it...the checkering will probably decrease the value as it is not original to the rifle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is a very nice looking gun, checkering or not, I would be very proud of it. Congrats.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I suspect he had some custom work done on while he was in Japan. I have seen some guns that were worked on over there and the quality of workmanship is outstanding. Actions tightened up and made extremely smooth. Wood and metal finishing very good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shot it tonight. Unreal accuracy! Love it. Very tight/stiff, but no FTE or FTFs. this thing is built like a swiss watch - much better than my dad's 39A. I only have one wear spot - on the hammer where the bolt travels over it, and it is very light.

I can see myself in the blueing on the side plate in the reflection, and the image is crisp (no waves, etc). The screws are all like new, and tight. wish I had a collector around to ask more questions. Its a keeper!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
This rifle is tight, stiff, and shows and extremely low amount of use... My gun smith friend says it could have been refinished, as it is in "too good" of shape... but it doesn't add up.
Any gunsmith can tell (without any doubt) if a firearm has been refinished if he's a "real" gunsmith and knows what to look for, otherwise that's a very nice rifle you got.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ballplayer - That is the thing... he says that there are non of the usual signs, other than it being as good or better than it was/should have been brand new. I am going to talk with a few others to see what their thoughts are... Regardless, I could not be happier with it. I just need four more just like it! I have the sickness! Marlin-itis!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Don't just whistle "Dixie"........have some fun, take it out and use it for it's intended purpose. :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts