Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I am the original owner of model 75, ser # 270 so I think it's around a 72 or 74 mfg date, had is since I was a kid.
I am having the feed throat problem with it. I have looked on line and they (feed throat upgrade kits) don't seem to be available at the moment. It looks to me like the "rivet" holding the two halves together has come loose. I might try to fix that. Or, any other thoughts ?

Thanks, spsix.

·
Super Moderator
17,788 Posts
The 270XXXXX serial number is a 1973 model... I have some feed throat parts for a Model 60... I don't know if they are the same or not. I've had a recent stroke and have lost a fair bit of my knowledge...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The 270XXXXX serial number is a 1973 model... I have some feed throat parts for a Model 60... I don't know if they are the same or not. I've had a recent stroke and have lost a fair bit of my knowledge...
Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery Scorpiusb...

Model 60 or model 75 shouldn't matter, mechanical parts are the same, changes were stock configuration w/barrel band, barrel and magazine length, otherwise no difference. However, there may be slight differences in the feed throat you have and other year models. As long as it's Old Style, anything prior to 1982, pre-hold open bolt I believe is the difference, it should work.

Numerich Arms shows -
Product #: 441120A on Old Style Model 60 Feedthroat - Out of Stock
Product #: 443990B on New Style Model 60 Feedthroat - Out of Stock

Product #: 441120A on Model 75 - Out of Stock
Product #: 443990A on Model 75C - (Which is kinda ridiculous because the 75C was Old Style for 8 years production and should be same as the 75 for those 8 years, but whatever.) - Out of Stock

Site states old style parts are not available and lists:
Product #: 441130A on Model 75 - Feedthroat Conversion Kit - Out of Stock
Product #: 441130A on Model 75C - Feedthroat Conversion Kit - Out of Stock

Conversion Kit includes cartridge lifter and the lifter spring.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Scorpiusb and rocky1.
And hopes for a speedy recovery to Scorpiusb !
I guess my conundrum becomes, I don't want to mix and match parts, not all feed throats work with the same lifter ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi All.

I am the original owner of model 75, ser # 270 so I think it's around a 72 or 74 mfg date, had is since I was a kid.
I am having the feed throat problem with it. I have looked on line and they (feed throat upgrade kits) don't seem to be available at the moment. It looks to me like the "rivet" holding the two halves together has come loose. I might try to fix that. Or, any other thoughts ?

Thanks, spsix.
I also am the original owner of mine. Parents bought it for me on my sixteenth birthday and the mfg date is 1972. I still have it and will have it until I am gone.

I lost the inner tube magazine running my trapline in the mid 70's as a teenager and bought my replacement part from numerich. In today's world, parts are hard to come by along with many other things in life. I have seen parts at some Gun Shows over the years by me as an option you may want to look in to.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,788 Posts
I guess my conundrum becomes, I don't want to mix and match parts, not all feed throats work with the same lifter ?
You need three parts when replacing the 2 piece feed throat... New feed throat, cartridge lifter and ejector/lifter spring... About $70.00.... You also may need to cut one of the locating studs... The 2 piece feed throat may have a 3 piece locating stud and the new feed throat has 4... You need to cut one off... Look at the Youtube...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Scorpiusb , good video and can do the gun smithing to make that work. Would you happen to have any of those parts ? If not I will continue to search.

·
Super Moderator
17,788 Posts
I believe I do... I will check tomorrow... We have a big blow and possible tornado's tonight...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
In the event Scorpiusb doesn't find what you need, there are a few for sale on E-Bay, but they're complete assembly, feedthroat, hammer, springs, buffer, sideplates whole ball of wax. Was a couple Old Style when I looked last night. Prices ranged from $75 - $120 on those. Want to say there was one Buy Now priced on low end.

Given age of the gun, if you haven't replaced the buffer, you might want to order a couple of those as well. Also a pipluar model 60 item on E-Bay. There's a new soft buffer out, made out of a dense foam material. Ordered them to try, don't have one installed yet so I can't give you feedback there. Tried the 3D printed goodies, no luck with those shooting hyper-velocity rounds. Pulled the gun apart 3 - 4 months after install, for other reasons, and the printed buffer was shattered. And, that was with installation of heavier recoil spring.

If you want to go all out on building it to shoot sweeter, mcarbo.com offers a spring kit that's reasonably priced. Lightens trigger pull, makes the action run a little smoother. And, dipproductsinc.com has a decent line of accessories for the model 60 to include adjustable triggers, billet bolt handles, trigger guards, and such. Might seem expensive when you start adding it all up, but worth every penny I spent, in my book.

·
Super Moderator
17,788 Posts
Found all of the parts... Feed throat, cartridge lifter and ejector/lifter spring, NEW... Also I have an extra buffer, NEW... Storm is getting close so we are moving to our storm shelter...

Send me a PM about contact info...

Sleeve Grey Collar Rectangle Material property

Reactions: rocky1

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rocky1 thanks, Lots of cool stuff for these that I didn't know about, I will look at the web sites. Guess these are sort of like the 10/22, lots of fun aftermarket parts and very tuneable.

I did did see those complete assemblies, I think scorpiusb has what I need, that will get it running right. It's a very good shooter, I may look at the spring kits and such. I love idea of a Billet charging handle, and the adjustable trigger. Endless plinking fun !

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Rocky1 thanks, Lots of cool stuff for these that I didn't know about, I will look at the web sites. Guess these are sort of like the 10/22, lots of fun aftermarket parts and very tuneable.

I did did see those complete assemblies, I think scorpiusb has what I need, that will get it running right. It's a very good shooter, I may look at the spring kits and such. I love idea of a Billet charging handle, and the adjustable trigger. Endless plinking fun !
Yes sir, appears that is everything you need, and new parts, not used. (y)

Not quite as many parts for these as the 10/22, but there's a few cool goodies out there. I bought a trashed 2006 vintage model 60, the trigger was terrible on. Got interested in improving it, gun didn't shoot bad, but the trigger was UGLY! Initially bought spring kit and the adjustable trigger from mcarbo, (no longer available), installed that one in a new plastic trigger guard assembly I had on hand, then I found the billet trigger assembly with wider pad target trigger at DIP Products. By that point was in love with the gun, had to see if it got better, and it just kept getting sweeter and sweeter. No regrets what so ever!!

Be advised... Spring kit requires disassembly of all the parts you are about to take apart to install the feedthroat and buffer.

Billet charging handle is a little bigger, much easier to get hold of, more than anything. Kind of a nice option; functional and it looks cool. Needs a little Loctite on the threads when you get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an ‘87 Model 60 that is a tack driver - when it shoots. I’m having a failure to feed issue, and it doesn’t seem to matter which brand round I use. When I give the gun a thorough cleaning I can get 10-15 rounds to fire, then I have a FTF approximately every third round after that. I’ve noticed there are small quarter moon looking slivers that I see in the action, which appears to be the edges of rounds that are being shaved off as the round is being fed into the feed ramp. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You need the same parts above referenced.

Not sure if I should recommend a cup of coffee or a cold beer to watch this video, but he's exhibiting the same second third round fail to feed symptom, it's either a little more exaggerated, or he has sharper edge on the chamber, and the bullet is biting rather than shaving lead, and replacing feed throat, ejector spring, and lift arm repair the fault.

----------------

While waiting on parts...

- I'd check the ejector spring, make sure it's in the slot in the feed throat properly, and not bent. Typically causes an ejection issue, but either might cause it to apply improper forces to the lift arm, causing it to drag on the side rail.

- Check the lift arm and mating surfaces for signs of damage, wear, excessive dragging.

Properly tuning the ejector spring...

----------------

And, see above video Scorpiusb posted at 8 minute mark, if you see signs of dragging on the side rail.

----------------

While you're tuning, you might also check the bolt for wear and fix that if there is any.
(Turn your volume down initially, then about 3:20 in the video, it goes from blowing you out with music on intro to talking in normal soft tone of voice 6 ft from camera, to parking camera a foot away from a rapidly fired rifle without warning. About blew me out of my recliner!)

----------------

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good stuff you guys, Thanks ! I should have parts in a few days, then I will do the change over and see how it feeds. I probably won't change a lot with it but making it better is always fun.
It will be nice to have it working right again, then maybe I'll tinker with a few things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts