Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old 1972 Marlin/Glenfield 75 that I've put thousands of rounds through. It began jamming up quite a while back, so I stored it away, in hopes that one day, I'd fix it and use it again. Stripped it down, replaced the recoil spring, as it was without doubt, shot. My youngest son has now been bitten for the love of shooting, so I let him take her out and give her a trial with the new spring. Well, it seems the jamming is still a problem. Out of 200 rounds, he said it jammed up 15 times.

We stripped it down again and thoroughly cleaned every nook and cranny and oiled up the necessary areas and it's ready to be tried again. I'm hoping that it was just bad ammo that he was using, because it left a heck of a lot of unburned powder residue in the chamber for only 200 rounds. We are going to try different ammo this time.

I do not believe it to be a feed throat issue, but an extraction issue with breech bolt. My question to gunsmiths is, the inside ejector pin has next to no movement whatsoever, while the right side has plenty of movement and a fair amount of spring tension behind it. Looking at this old design breech bolt, I'm asking myself if this thing is operating properly or not. I do not want to give this firearm up! It was dependable as heck when it worked properly. Finding parts is oh so fun. Everybody is out of stock on anything I may need.

Second question is, if I do have to replace the feed throat and breech bolt with the newer style, is it something I can do or am I looking at taking it to a gunsmith and have them do it?

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
All I know about those guns is that A) They can be extremely accurate, and B) Some have soft extractors that wear out, and need to be re-cut or replaced. I did both before eventually selling mine to a friend. Is it failing to extract? You mentioned jams, but gave no details on what it's doing or not doing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I last shot it, it was as though the spent round wasn't clearing the chamber completely before the next round was being cycled into the chamber. In other words, the spent casing was getting trapped between the breech bolt and opening in the side of the riffle. I didn't get to witness whether or not it's still doing the same thing as before while my son was shooting it. We did remove quite a bit of powder residue from around the barrel right where the ejector pins seat, so I'm hoping (Praying) that's all that it is/was. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: mathewj

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Take a good look at the ejector ( different from extractor),it could be bent or worn Also check for a burr or dimple on the chamber rim caused by the fireing pin when dryfired.Those old 75's without the "last-shot-hold-open"feature and the little short tube got dryfired a lot.
Push a loose wad of cotton from the muzzle end with a cleaning rod and see if any gets caught and hangs on a burr at the chamber rim.
A burr can hinder extraction which leads to Ejector failure and cause jams or "stove pipes"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Nothing is jamming up as far as anything coming through the barrel from the opposite end and it does not lock open upon last round fired. Looking at it while cleaning the crap out of it, I can't help but think that the ejector spring is weak or it wasn't seating fully because of built up residue in it's seating slots beside the barrel. I guess at this point, I'm going to blame powder residue that went uncleaned for a very long time, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if every spring in this riffle is worn out. I mean to tell you, I put cases and cases of rounds through it. I love the gun too much to simply scrape it and find another. May have to wait for parts forever, but if it's necessary, then that's what I'll do.

We got some new ammo to try, so we'll see if it's an ammo problem or if the ejector is just plain ready for replacement. Feeding does not seem to be a problem at all, but reading other posts has me questioning everything at this point. :)

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
Aside from what Mudpuppy mentioned, it might be that there is a little pitting in the chamber, and the case is expanding upon firing, and is being held by the rough case walls. Polishing the chamber is the only solution, and it's hard to do in a rifle with an enclosed receiver like that.

The other possibility is a worn extractor, not cleanly pulling the fired shell clear of the chamber. That's a fairly easy fix.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Extractor pulls the spent case out of the chamber.Ejector dislodges the spent case from the extractor and tosses it out the port.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cheap ammo. I use this gun every weekend. Any of the bulk ammo or plinking ammo does this. Buy good quality ammo. The only solution i have found. cheap rounds don't seem to have the power to cycle the action properly. Try some CCI mini mags or something. I bet you wont have a single jam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mudpuppy said:
Extractor pulls the spent case out of the chamber.Ejector dislodges the spent case from the extractor and tosses it out the port.
Ok, is the Extractor supposed have next to no play whatsoever? Only reason I'm asking is because looking at the parts schematic, there is a spring behind it and this thing barely moves at all, while the ejector does move easily, and maybe even too easily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
papajohn said:
Aside from what Mudpuppy mentioned, it might be that there is a little pitting in the chamber, and the case is expanding upon firing, and is being held by the rough case walls. Polishing the chamber is the only solution, and it's hard to do in a rifle with an enclosed receiver like that.

The other possibility is a worn extractor, not cleanly pulling the fired shell clear of the chamber. That's a fairly easy fix.
No visible pitting that I can see. Now when we say fairly easy fix for the extractor, how hard of a job is is? I've got the feeling that nearly everything is worn out, at least springwise. Just wondering if I can tackle this job myself or should I just take it to a gunsmith?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Siguaw said:
cheap ammo. I use this gun every weekend. Any of the bulk ammo or plinking ammo does this. Buy good quality ammo. The only solution i have found. cheap rounds don't seem to have the power to cycle the action properly. Try some CCI mini mags or something. I bet you wont have a single jam
Siguaw said:
Siguaw said:
At this point, I'm certainly not going to try the range ammo again, it's Federal, but exactly which type, I don't know. All I know is 200 rounds left enough residue in the chamber to tear it down and clean it out again. I got some CCI mini mags this time. I wasn't a fan of them in the past, but then again, it's been at least 20 years since I shot this weapon myself. I'm assuming things have changed a tad in all that time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No matter if i fire 10 rounds or 4000 rounds the gun gets cleaned as soon as i get home. I did a test on my last hike. Totally clean gun. Fired 10 rounds CCI mini mags, Went through like butter. Then fired 10 rounds Winchester wild cat's. Jam about every third or fourth round. Then fired 10 Remington bulk special's "green and yellow box". Jammed every other round. Went back to CCI's and fired another 290 round with not one jam. Mine does the same as yours. Does not eject the casing fully. I also notice anything over 50 rounds it is pretty mucky in there. I am only so anal about cleaning mine because i don't range shoot. It's packed up all kinds of mountain trails in all kinds of weather almost every weekend so i am afraid of dirt etc finding it's way in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Siguaw said:
No matter if i fire 10 rounds or 4000 rounds the gun gets cleaned as soon as i get home. I did a test on my last hike. Totally clean gun. Fired 10 rounds CCI mini mags, Went through like butter. Then fired 10 rounds Winchester wild cat's. Jam about every third or fourth round. Then fired 10 Remington bulk special's "green and yellow box". Jammed every other round. Went back to CCI's and fired another 290 round with not one jam. Mine does the same as yours. Does not eject the casing fully. I also notice anything over 50 rounds it is pretty mucky in there. I am only so anal about cleaning mine because i don't range shoot. It's packed up all kinds of mountain trails in all kinds of weather almost every weekend so i am afraid of dirt etc finding it's way in.
Don't get me wrong, I do clean it after every outting, but I do not strip it completely down. Generally, just get rid of whatever residue I can see and spray away and always, always clean the barrel.

What's interesting to me is, I put thousands of rounds of Wildcats through it with no problems whatsoever, but it seems over the years, things really have changed a lot in cartridge world. What worked then, may or may not work now. Heck, I'll try anything until I find what does work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have only owned this gun 6 or so years so my ammo experience with it is pretty recent. my advice would be buy 100 of this and 100 of that and find what works best. That is basically what i did

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Siguaw said:
I have only owned this gun 6 or so years so my ammo experience with it is pretty recent. my advice would be buy 100 of this and 100 of that and find what works best. That is basically what i did
Me agrees!

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
I recall a range trip with my youngest son many years ago, we took a passel of 22 rifles and my Browning Buckmark, plus all the 22 ammo brands and types we could track down. Must have been 25 kinds of ammo. There were several semiauto 22's in the mix, and not ONE of them would feed any of the SIX kinds of W-W 22 ammo we brought. Even the super-reliable Buckmark choked on it. I never figured out what the problem was, there were several different nose profiles involved, but that W-W just wouldn't work in anything.

That was about ten years ago, before Olin moved the whole rimfire line to Mississippi. Maybe things are different these days. I do know their Power-Point ammo was a favorite of mine in a Ruger 10/22 I had, it shot like crazy.

CCI Mini-Mags shoot well in most guns, I don't know what they do differently, but that stuff is loaded HOT. :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We'll give the CCI Mini Mags a go at it and see what happens. Appreciate everyones input.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
For bulk stuff, I've had real good results with Federal American Eagle.

Not so good with any Remington bulk.

CCI goes bang every time!

Jon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Big Shrek said:
Thanks Big Shrek. I've seen this, but my feed throat doesn't have the ridge to support the spring in that manor. It's the original old style.

I'm really interested in seeing someones breech bolt from the front, top and bottom. I have a feeling the problem lies with the left ejector. That thing will not move at all and if there is a spring behind it, like the schematics show, then why is it frozen in one position? I cannot find anything blocking a return action from that side and so I'm deeply questioning, is it supposed to be stationary, with the right side actually doing the ejecting? Right side moves rather easily.

I look at how this thing is designed and have a theory about how it works, but is my theory flawed?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts