Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On our site we offer both brass and stainless steel followers and people often want to know which is better. The truth is that it is really a matter of personal preference. The two materials produce very similar performance in the application of a magazine follower in a Marlin lever gun.

It is true that brass on the steel magazine tube does slide more easily than a stainless follower, but the movement of the follower is small. The advantage provided due to lower friction of the brass follower is negligible compared to the stainless steel follower since there is such a little amount of movement in a magazine follower's operation. A brass follower also looks similar to a cartridge and makes it difficult to determine if you are out of ammo or not. Slightly more care might be needed for a brass follower since over time brass will tarnish while stainless holds up to corrosion very well.

There is not a large amount of friction between the follower and magazine tube created during typical use of the rifle. It is not a fast moving, excessively dynamic action, but over time and through heavy use, the parts will wear. Brass might have a slight advantage over stainless steel followers since the brass is softer than the steel of the magazine tube; therefore, the brass follower will fail before the magazine tube. This will likely only be an issue over the long term and through heavy of cycling many rounds of ammunition. Adequate lubrication in the magazine tube will also prevent excessive wear between the follower and mag tube.

I personally use brass followers in my rifles because I like the smoothest action possible. However, it is really personal preference after weighing the differences related to corrosion resistance, mechanical operation, and visibility. Either way, a brass or stainless follower far exceeds the quality and reliability of a factory plastic part. The plastic followers are subject to rapid wearing and large thermal expansion and contraction in extreme temperatures.

The high quality and reliability of the Marlin lever guns should not be undermined by a cheap plastic follower. Whether you choose brass or stainless, replacing the plastic follower or upgrading from a carbon steel one will add to the overall performance of the firearm. We also try to stay away from aluminum since it has a tendency to oxidize and corrode. LINK to OUR FOLLOWERS HERE

IMG_5808.PNG

·
Registered
30 Posts
I left emails..... no response

BHN and Over All Length of bullet .35 250 LFNGC

If you click on details an error comes up..

ooops different company than beartooth cast bullets...sorry

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I left emails..... no response

BHN and Over All Length of bullet .35 250 LFNGC

If you click on details an error comes up..

ooops different company than beartooth cast bullets...sorry
Well, there you go, you've been calling and emailing the wrong company!

·
Registered
14,340 Posts
The brass magazine follower in the 1894 is an essential item. Natural lubricity between brass and steel gives the smoothest operation. If you do nothing else to your 1894, change out that plastic follower.

20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brass magazine follower in the 1894 is an essential item. Natural lubricity between brass and steel gives the smoothest operation. If you do nothing else to your 1894, change out that plastic follower.
Certainly agree with you there!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a Beartooth Saddle Ring on my Henry H001. First one I ordered was a bit short and would not get enough purchase on the threads. A quick email exchange with BTM and I had the correct one that fit perfectly. No complaints with BTM and happy customer here.

I am not a paid spokesman for Beartooth nor am I associated with them in any way. Just a satisfied customer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Reactions: beartoothmercantile
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Beartooth Saddle Ring on my Henry H001. First one I ordered was a bit short and would not get enough purchase on the threads. A quick email exchange with BTM and I had the correct one that fit perfectly. No complaints with BTM and happy customer here.

I am not a paid spokesman for Beartooth nor am I associated with them in any way. Just a satisfied customer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
Good to know that they can be modified to fit the Henry. Never actually tried that myself.

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
I got a 1894Sr 44mg. Saddle ring is just something to rattle and snag for me. If it wasn't for value I would put the bolt cutters to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts