Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some times this forum needs to have stuff cross posted in the different sections so everyone can see this.

If you haven't been in the 45/70 section (who are seeing a bunch of issues with new 1895's), you need to read this:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,84801.0.html

If you choose to follow his advice, be factual, don't go on a rant and you'll get a better response.

I'd suggest, if you've seen a poorly made rifle on a store shelf and refused to buy it, that you also write to the suggested contact.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I was at my LGS and they surprisingly had a new 91 sn 338me priced at $495. So I ask to look at it, I see a gap at the top of the forearm, tight at the bottom, look down the side of the gun, obvious droop in the barrel. I noted this to the salesman, informed him that this has been a problem Marlin is fixing. He carries the rifle off like it's going back to Marlin. Two days later I'm back in there, same Marlin droopy sad barrel, back on the shelf with a brand new price of $540.. will Marlin not fix guns for retailers? Of course this speaks loudly for my local Shop.. very disappointing.

james

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
will Marlin not fix guns for retailers? Of course this speaks loudly for my local Shop.. very disappointing.
Could be a possibility that the guy didn't even bother to try, might have figured some unsuspecting sap will not even notice. ???

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sadly I think you are probably right, guessing they did not even try. Upping the price and putting it back out on the shelf in that condition was a slap in the face to all their customers.

james

·
Registered
308 Posts
It woulda been too much work to send it back. Besides, you prolly talked to a salesman, not the manager or owner. He doesn't care. Or he may have been overrruled by the owner or manager and told to put it back. All it takes is the price of admission to put green in the pocket, and suddenly that problem becomes the customers, not theirs...yesterday they had a bad gun, today it's gone. A POS gun can sit in that rack just as easy as a legit one. "There's a sucker born every minute...and one of them will come in here and buy that thing and then our problem is now theirs and their money is now ours. Like I said, there's a sucker born every minute..." The gunshop ain't walmart, and a gun ain't a toaster. You don't go back with your receipt the next day and get a full refund after telling them the wife didn't like the color.

Capitalism...ain't it great!!

That's what made Marlin special..a small, old company that took great pride in it's guns, and if something wasn't right, by God they would make it right...not just to appease the customer, but because it was the right thing to do! But usually they didn't have to do it, because they made things right the first time and took pride in what they stamped their name on and sent out their door. It wasn't just about profit...it was also about pride, and tradition, and...yes...honor. And things weren't made right so the C.E.O. could keep his perks, they were made right because the most basic employee, even the freakin' janitor, was proud of where he worked and what he did and took pride in the job he did.

We can rant to Cerberus or Freedom Group or the devil himself, but the truth of it is, and we all know it, we all stepped into a different age the day that our beloved Marlin was sold. And it brings a tear to our eye to see the 'new' Marlin struggle to produce a decent 336 or 1895 or 444 that the 'old' Marlin made so well for so long.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BEACON said:
We can rant to Cerberus or Freedom Group or the devil himself, but the truth of it is, and we all know it, we all stepped into a different age the day that our beloved Marlin was sold. And it brings a tear to our eye to see the 'new' Marlin struggle to produce a decent 336 or 1895 or 444 that the 'old' Marlin made so well for so long.
I would rather do something, and let someone in authority know, than just sit and lament about the changing of the guard.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
They have been informed they have and still read this site everyday and that started when Marlin still was Marlin in NH.. We shall see what road they take as the ball is in thier court now..

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
The droopy barrel thing is quite interesting. Evidently they had a batch of bad threads cut and went ahead and installed the barrels anyway. Wouldn't this be a safety hazard?

I really think there should be a recall on all of those guns before someone blows themselves up.

·
Registered
593 Posts
BEACON said:
Capitalism...ain't it great!!
Yes it is and we are seeing the death of it; at least we are seeing those who are trying to kill it here and all over the world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts