Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will you please look at your barrel, left side looking down barrel. Near the receiver, do you have 2 letters? If so, what are they?....Marlin experts.....And the letters mean?..... Thanks........Alvan

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
As minute-of-berm said JM stamp? or production date code?

From 1962 thru 1968 Marlins rimfire rifles (other than the 39 series lever actions) used a two letter date code that was stamped on the barrel. This date code is different than the one already listed, as Marlin rimfire rifles (other than the model 39 series) did not have a serial numbers until required to by Law after 1968. The first letter of the date code represented the month of manufacture while the second letter indicated the year. This date code was usually stamped on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver. The first letter of the date code is as follows:

A = Jan.
B = Feb.
C = Mar.
D = Apr.
E = May
F = June
G = July
H = Aug.
I = Sep.
J = Oct.
K = Nov.
L = Dec.

The second letter of the date code is as follows:

F = 1962
G = 1963
H = 1964
I = 1965
J = 1966
K = 1967
L = 1968

Reactions: minute-of-berm

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BINGO.................................... P-bass................ that is it.... thanks...Alvan..... My 57M does NOT have a JM stamp..

·
Registered
2 Posts
980-DL date code?

I've seen the posts re: date code and get it, but I recently inherited a Marlin 980-DL in like new condition, I can see no Serial number so assume it is pre-1969. I have scoured the barrel and cannot locate a date code? no markings at all? There is very little wear on anything... Any thoughts? I have looked right where the barrel goes into receiver, left side/right side nothing?

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
980-DL date code?

I've seen the posts re: date code and get it, but I recently inherited a Marlin 980-DL in like new condition, I can see no Serial number so assume it is pre-1969.  I have scoured the barrel and cannot locate a date code?  no markings at all?  There is very little wear on anything...  Any thoughts?  I have looked right where the barrel goes into receiver, left side/right side nothing?<br><br>thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts