Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rummaging thru some of my old marlin pictures and came across these,1881 32-40 with engraving and fancy wood its the one i need the forearm tip for. my question is what is the wood? english walnut? or circassion (SP) walnut?

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
Old Marlin catalogs referred to that as "Circassian walnut", which is English Walnut. The high end walnut stocks on early Marlins make me weak in the knees! Seems 1881's had some of the finest high grade wood!

·
Registered
496 Posts
That is one fine rifle. ;D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, Circassian walnut and English walnut is one and the same ??? :), well thats good to know! ;D i think the 1881 marlins are underated in value, i only have this one but would like one in 45-70 some day. Don

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
That deal about circassian versus english, has probably cause more fights than whether Obama is a citizen or not. ;D Or perhaps whether an alaskan brown, is a "grizzly" or not. ;D

I would observe that what most guys call "english" is not colored as greatly as that example. What ever it is, its fine looking wood.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kelley, The newness aint worn off yet!!! ;D ;D actually you probably figured out i dont get rid of many guns! ; YET !! Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts