Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just ordered an 1895 custom shop 45-70. This will be my first lever action and my first 45-70. Will be used mostly to hunt hogs in thick brush. I'm going to start by throwing on a Trijicon RMR that I'm not using on anything at the moment, but I'd like to scope it. Up in the air on if I should go with a scout scope or stick to a traditional scope. I would like to mount the scope as low as possible, and like the idea of the eye piece being forward of the factory sights. The two scopes I'm consider are the Leupold VX-R 1.5-5x33 scout or the Leupold 1.25-4x20 w/ the pig plex reticle. My concern is if there will be enough eye relief on the later to mount it forward of the iron sights. I know there are hundreds of similar threads on here, but I cannot find one that relates exactly to this, and the members on here seem to be more than willing to offer their help and opinions. Thanks in advance! Also looking for advice on rings. Again, there is already a rail on the gun so I don't need a base. Want to keep the scope as low as possible.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would go with the 1.25 - 4 X 20. The 1.5-5 X 33 is a 30mm tube which places the center of optic a tad higher. Also it is heavier. It is a great scope but I don't need the greater magnification as I usually keep the scope set at 1.8 X.

The 1.5 X by 33 has a 8" eye relief. It will clear an XS Sight Sys receiver sight, but you will have to file the mount base of the sight down for the scope to clear. I don't know if the 1.25 - 4 x 20 has a longer eye relief or not.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I would go with the 1.25 - 4 X 20. The 1.5-5 X 33 is a 30mm tube which places the center of optic a tad higher. Also it is heavier. It is a great scope but I don't need the greater magnification as I usually keep the scope set at 1.8 X.

The 1.5 X by 33 has a 8" eye relief. It will clear an XS Sight Sys receiver sight, but you will have to file the mount base of the sight down for the scope to clear. I don't know if the 1.25 - 4 x 20 has a longer eye relief or not.
Packard, I’m not sure what you mean by having to file down the mount base of the sight. Are you saying it won’t clear because it isn’t high enough? I would think the scout extended eye relief would allow you to mount it forward of the sight base. Just wondering...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Oh, and WELCOME to THE Forum, apl81!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welcome Aboard A - I can't quite wrap my head around 'Mounting the eye piece forward of the factory sites' - are you talking a receiver site or the standard barrel site?

·
Super Moderator
12,711 Posts
I have owned several variable scout scopes but could never really warm up to them. To me they compromise too much on image quality, size and weight for what little benefit you get from the extra magnification. Personally I would suggest you compare the variable and fixed models in person before making the jump.

As for rings you probably want something with quick release and the Leupold and Warne rings are very popular. For most scout scopes you can get away with low rings but know some of the variable scopes require going with medium rings.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome from Maryland! If you are partial to the red dot you could always consider putting a magnifier with it. I have seen red dots on an 1895 but never a red dot magnifier combination... I read on the internet that you get a special discount on membership to this forum if you are willing to be our guinea pig...:biggrin:

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hogs in thick brush you might want to consider a peep sight. If you're hunting close you'll want a low power scope. In regard to scope mounting and low as possible, the hammer will always be something you have to work around. Consider a butt cuff to raise your cheek weld with a scope and that hammer spur is a great help. It may seem like you'll be able to go lower with a scout scope but you'll still have the rail height to contend with so it will never be that low. For close work I have a straight stock carbine; great handling. I also have 22 in barrel scoped 45-70 for reaching out to 200 yards. Both guns are great. A possible is the XS ghost ring with a release mount for the scope; the rear peep will give you trouble with an ultra low mount. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.