Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I was changing out the factory sights for the XS Rail system, and after taking out my rear sight, I noticed that the craftsmanship was very...surprising, and not in a good way. Refer to my attachments to see what I am talking about. The dovetail slot near the muzzle was almost worn completely down where it was not machined properly, and it was rounded where you couldn't start a sight in but one way successfully. After doing some filing with a triangle file, all worked out perfect.

a couple quick questions for veteran Marlin owners out there:

1) Has there been a decline in the quality of craftsmanship and, well, the guns themselves?

2) Has anybody ever had factory extractor problems about not kicking the round out when you are rough with the lever..and by that, I mean, it only kicks out whenever you lower the lever very slowly..Good thing my brother had a spare one for his Marlin. Got it swapped out in no time and it was functioning perfect.

After all the little things, no hiccups yet, and still in love with the little Marlin!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,791 Posts
A question for you before answers.... Is it a JM Marlin? or a remlin? First 4 digits of the serial # will help...

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Remington made guns are copies of Marlins, is this a Marlin or Remington? Marlin made guns are known for consistent high quality, relative to a an affordable production gun. Remington guns have had issues. I suppose I'm sensitive to Remington made guns being called "Marlins".

Reactions: shawlerbrook
1,907 Posts
Hi Ezra,

Since we specialize in Marlin builds, we see a lot of them. We generally prefer to build on JM (stamped on the barrel just forward of receiver) models since: a) they are generally of high quality, and hand fitted at the factory; and b) they are preferred by most customers because of (a). There has indeed been a decline in quality since Remington/Freedom Arms bought the company and closed down the old CT plant. Even some JM stamped Marlins built during the transition period show dodgy build quality.

The dovetail cut in your photo is a rather unusual case. Typically what we see with the Rem made models is decent machining quality but poor fitting. Internal machining shows no sign of dressing out, with burrs on carrier noses, etc. Wood to metal fit gets little attention, and checkering (if you can call it that) is terrible. We have also seen frequent malfunction issues out of the box, often related to poor fitment/tuning of extractors. I had a lengthy conversation with my Marlin/Rem sales rep and he told me they are working to improve quality. He solicited my detailed assessment of current quality, and seemed to be listening. He said the transition has been a difficult one, with most Rem employees being unfamiliar with the procedures on hand fitting Marlins, which is understandable.

Remington's bread and butter has been the bolt action rifle for a very long time. Apart from headspacing, very little fitting work is required on a bolt action. If you look at the machining and fitting requirements on a Marlin lever gun, it's actually kind of surprising they can still be sold at a profit today. Maybe that's part of the issue. No doubt company management feels pressure to make the guns more cost effectively to please investors. That's a rocky road, but hopefully a happy medium can be found.

In the meantime, we do take heart in finding that once sorted out, these new production Marlins are still capable of accurate and reliable service, just like the old ones. They just require some extra TLC. It's just unfortunate that so many buyers are having a poor experience when they open the box. I just hope the marque will recover.

Regards,

AD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not going to act like I know what I am talkin about, because I am new to the Lever gun world. MR17 is the first four of the serial..
What is the JM Marlin?
And, i am assuming, from what little research I found is a remlin is a remington made marlin?

Right above the reciever, on the barrel on the left side, it has PM stamped in it..could someone give me some insight on that? It would be much appreciated. On the other side, it has REP circled with a J to the right of it..

My apologies for such a late reply,
Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
231 Posts
Remington took over the co. in 2009. JM is the original marlin.
Boy, will we ever get this right? Remington purchased Marlin in December of 2007, deal was finalized in January of 2008.The Marlin North Haven plant was open until August of 2010 when all production stopped. Only receivers and barrels were made at the North Haven plant until December 2010. As of August 2010 Remington's Ilion plant is producing all Marlin lever action rifles, Mayfield is producing the X series bolt actions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.