Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an older (non-crossbolt safety) 336 .30-30 with a straight grip and a lever exactly like the current "cowboy" models (squared off rear end with the protruding tip). I plan on sending this to Marlin for a .30-30 Cowboy conversion, which they already said they would do. They also told me that they only replace the the parts forward of the the receiver. This rifle probably needs a re-finish on the receiver and lever. Has any Marlin Talker ever had this done and did they refinish all of the original metal parts? I'd like to hear comments from anyone who has had a Cowboy conversion done.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What you got yourself there is a "Texan."
Check the markings on the barrel to see if it's marked "336-T."

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ringo - I haven't received it yet, I just won the bid on Auction Arms. The "check will be in the mail" today.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ringo - By the way, it has a gold colored saddle ring on the left side of the receiver, if that tells you anything.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I had them rebarrel my 30/30 at the factory & they also replaced the lever & hammer. They didnt blue the reciever tho so it looked kinda funny when I got it back, the reciever was gone a nice silver grey patina that I liked till it had a new barrel & stuff.
I had my smith take it down & send the reciever, hammer & lever out to be case hardened & it came back beautiful.

Want a one of a kind 336 cowboy? Get it case colored!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Masterrifleman I had a Cowboy conversion done on a 336AS that was a 30-30. I had Marlin make it into a 38/55. They did not reblue the recerver. I payed for a new butt stock so the wood would match. I am sure that they will blue your if you ask them to. They are very nice to deal with. And the cost from them will be less than anyone and it will be a factory job. I would give them a call and just ask. All the work they have done for me and my sons have been top notch. Good Luck >>Tombstone

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 336 30-30 (no letter suffix) I'd like to have it converted to a CB. Will Marlin put a 24" octagon barrel on it staight butt stock and new forearm to match?
And how did you contact them. I went to Marlin's homepage and got the 800 # but all the secratary that answered said was we don't do custom work.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ridgerunner - Don't ask them for custom work, they don't. Tell them you want a cowboy conversion. It is $280 dollars and, as I stated in the beginning, they told me they only replace the parts forward of the reciver (barrel, mag. tube, sights and forearm) for that price. If you have a pistol grip stock, I imagine they will replace it for the price of the parts, (trigger plate, lever, buttstock, etc.). Call them and ask about a cowboy conversion and then ask about them replacing the other parts.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Tombstone (or anyone who may know), were the original parts returned to the sender. I would like to maintain them should I opt for such a change. The stocks may come in handy on another purchase, or replacement of a beat up mag tube or lever would be easy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes they returned the old parts all wraped up nice and safe. I still have them. I have tryed to sell them but no luck. Maybe some day I will need them. Anyway Papalote you will get your old parts back. Good Luck >>Tombstone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts