Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with Marlin regarding a conversion of a 1894 to CB configuration. Well, it seems the only calibers available are 38spc, .357, 45LC and 44 mag. Of course all of these are "traditional" calibers of the original 1894's.

So much for having one in an original caliber such as 44-40.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jkindred, did they give you a price on the conversion? I was just wondering if the price went went up. I had one done almost two years back and it was $280.
To bad you could not get your 44-40.
>>Tombstone

·
Registered
3 Posts
There have been a few runs of 1894CBs in 44-40, so they are available, but on the used market. I would suppose that they didn't sell enough to justify keeping them as a regular catalog item.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved

After my inital phone call with Marlin, I wrote them a letter requesting they reconsider their choice of chamberings for the 1894's. This morning I received a phone call from Marlin to explain that I had been given incorrect information in my first phone call. They will do the conversions in 44-40. Price quoted to me was $262.00.

It is nice to find a company these days with that type customer service.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Jkindred said:
Just got off the phone with Marlin regarding a conversion of a 1894 to CB configuration. Well, it seems the only calibers available are 38spc, .357, 45LC and 44 mag. Of course all of these are "traditional" calibers of the original 1894's.

So much for having one in an original caliber such as 44-40.

I know where there is an original in 44-40 NIB for $600 serial # 0009, yep I said #9, it has been sitting at a gun shop near my home since he got it sometime ago. The guy whom ordered it backed out of his deposit for some reason. Send me a message if your interested. Pa RR

G

·
Re: Problem solved

Jkindred said:
After my inital phone call with Marlin, I wrote them a letter requesting they reconsider their choice of chamberings for the 1894's. This morning I received a phone call from Marlin to explain that I had been given incorrect information in my first phone call. They will do the conversions in 44-40. Price quoted to me was $262.00.

It is nice to find a company these days with that type customer service.
Which gun will they do the conversion on? Will they do it on a Cowboy and put an octagun barrel on it ? What caliber is easiest for this conversion ?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
6pt, from what I understand the conversions are done from standard model 1894s to a Cowboy with the octagon barrel. I'd give 'em a call about that 44-40 conversion.

Willy

G

·
44-40 Willy said:
6pt, from what I understand the conversions are done from standard model 1894s to a Cowboy with the octagon barrel. I'd give 'em a call about that 44-40 conversion.

Willy
So if that is correct I should be able to find a used 1894S for about $300 + $265 for the conversion and come out at $600 when you figure shipping :D :D :D That don't sound to bad 8) 8)

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I'm not sure if the bolt face is the same between the 44 Mag and the 44-40. The 44-40 has a wider diameter rim than the Mag. O' course a good smith could fix that while installing the barrel.

Willy

G

·
44-40 Willy said:
I'm not sure if the bolt face is the same between the 44 Mag and the 44-40. The 44-40 has a wider diameter rim than the Mag. O' course a good smith could fix that while installing the barrel.

Willy
I was thinking that also :? That might be that might be a good reason for sending it back to the factory and having it made into a cowboy :D Then if it's not right it's their problem and they can fix it :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They will take care of it. Today I received a box from Marlin with the bolt, barrel, trigger, trigger guard, lever, butt stock, forearm, magazine, spring and a bag of small parts. The only thing I didn't see was the receiver. So based on that Marlin does not leave much to question when they put a 1894 through process.

Just about looks like they send you back a new rifle.

G

·
Jkindred said:
They will take care of it. Today I received a box from Marlin with the bolt, barrel, trigger, trigger guard, lever, butt stock, forearm, magazine, spring and a bag of small parts. The only thing I didn't see was the receiver. So based on that Marlin does not leave much to question when they put a 1894 through process.

Just about looks like they send you back a new rifle.
So they sent everything for $262 (octagon barrel) all you have to do is strip yours and have someone swap the barrels . Thenreassemble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, the parts they returned yesterday were those they removed from the receiver. When I sent the rifle to them I had asked that they return any parts not used in the conversion.

They are in the process of reassembling the receiver into a 1894 Cowboy in 44-40. I will receive a complete, ready to shoot rifle when they finish the work.

The rifle I sent was a pre safety 44 Spec/44 mag 1894 made in 1979.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The first lady I spoke with was very nice but didn't give me the correct information. A fews after I wrote to them I received a phone call from a man in the service department who was very nice and had called to tell me that they did do the conversions in 44-40 if I wanted to still send the rifle to them.

Everyone I dealt with at Marlin have been very helpful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts