Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin CB 30-30 and had a Marlbles Tang sight put on; I have yet to fire this rifle. I've been thinking of having the barrel changed out for the 375 lever cartridge.

A 24" lever action rifle in 375 seems quite possible and interesting.

Do any of you know who can do the work?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
If I had one of those, I would not convert it. It is a very difficult rifle to find. I have been looking for one for several years. It will have significant collector value in unfired condition down the road.
If you want one to convert, get something much more common.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
buckeyeshooter said:
If I had one of those, I would not convert it. It is a very difficult rifle to find. I have been looking for one for several years. It will have significant collector value in unfired condition down the road.
If you want one to convert, get something much more common.

It has been fired, but so little it looks as if it is new and unfired. 10 rounds down the barrel. I tried selling a few times on this site, but no one expressed any interest. I actually prefer the Zane Grey models vs the CB model.

thanks for your imput..

regards.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
gunpowder, I have one or I would snatch it up. It is the most accurate gun I have bar none. Do not rechamber this gun. Someone will surely pay a good price for it. They are already collectors items.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gunpowder I would not do anything to that Cowboy,,. It took me two years to find the one I have. It's your rifle and you can do what you want with it but think a long time. If you do change barrels I will buy your old one with all those rounds through it.
Good Shooting >Tombstone

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I agree with Dr. A.(he pushed me over the edge to buy my 30-30CB, I am GLAD HE DID) I would not think of parting with it or amending it. If I had the money, I'd look for another. While the .38-55 is not a 375, it may suffice for your need. OR, You can always get another straight gripped Marlin and have the work done on it. Sell the 30-30 CB if necessary but please don't cut it up.

Papalote

·
Registered
137 Posts
gunpowder ( or whatever name you are posting under today) if you had been asking a resonble price for that CB30-30 it would have sold lickity split

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not to disagree with everyone else, but it's your rifle. If you want to convert it, by all means go for it. I do have a couple questions. Can the receiver on the 30-30CB handle 375 pressures? Is the over-all-shell lenght of the 30-30CB long enough to handle 375 shells? The 375 Winchester is a great cartridge for a lever action gun.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I would just get a 35/55. You can shoot some pretty stout loads from it. And those CB rifles are real shooters. My 38/55 amazes me, and it really kills deer dead. :shock:

·
Registered
719 Posts
30-30

i don't think the 30-30 can be safely redone.....if memory serves me, the 375 has a different reciever.........30-30 can be redone to 38-55, tho'
i have a 38-55 93' love at first sight!

she will hold nice open sighted groups with the barnes or factory or custom bullets......and the power with 255gr at 1500-1700fps is enough!
if i need a "planet killer" i reach for the 45-70 w/500gr bullets!!!!!!! :shock:
keep your 30-30cb, save for ANOTHER rifle....38-55cb! two is better than one! :wink: [/img]

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Sell the 30-30 and get a 38-55 CB still in current production. 38-55 when handloaded is a ballistic twin to the .375 in some ways in a modern 336CB it is supierior. I know I'll get flack from this post but l'll try to explain my reasoning. The 38-55 has a slower twist than the .375 hence less pressure to push the bullet out the bbl, the case is larger by .100 and will hold more powder. The bullets are slightly larger .378 versus .375 giving the 38-55 bullet more area hence less pressure for a given load. I shoot 29.5 gns of RX7 behind Stone Fences 250 gn bullet and the loading manuals list this load up there in the 38-55 and more than recommended in the .375. A long winded way of saying don't alter the 30-30 it is a rare rifle nowadays. Just an alternative to what you want. You should be able to sell the 30-30 for more than you'll pay for the 38-55. Swany

·
Registered
111 Posts
gunpowder,

I believe Marlin makes 4 different receivers based on the 336 receiver.

1. The .30-30 Win. class

2. The .444 Marlin class

3. The .45-70/405gr class

4. The .450 Marlin class

Each class uses the same basic 336 receiver allowing use of cartridges of no more than 2.5-2.6 overall length, but each class incorporates somewhat different cuts in the ejection port area, different bolts and/or different magazine tube diameters, depending on the cartridge group employed.

The .375 Win. was available as the Model 375 in the .30-30 Win. class receiver group. There is no difference in the receivers in this class pertaining to cartridges chambered in the rifles or in heat treatment. Your 336CB in .30-30 Win. can easily be rebored to caliber .375 and rechambered to .375 Win. This work requires no other changes to the rifle except perhaps the rear sight setting/front sight height. Cost would be in the $200 area and should make a fine shooting rifle which would be less problematic than the 336CB in .38-55 Win. Redman's and LaBounty are two I can recommend for doing the job.

Good luck and good shooting.
Garth Dial

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kaintuck:
It looks like you are posting pictures of My 1893 in 38/55. I was lucky enough to get a 32/40 in the same configuration. Like you I think the 38/55 is just as good as the .375. I don't see any need for more velocity, as the game can't tell the diffrence.

Lee L.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts