Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be your thoughts on a pretty decent Marlin Camp 45 that is mounted in a Nice Boyds Laminated thumbhole stock? Has a cheap red dot reflex sight on it. I think it may also have a plastic stock with it.Receiver finish is nice. Couple small blemishes on the barrel but blue is pretty strong yet. I have not seen the plastic stock yet. Did Marlin ever have a Factory maybe folding stock as original equipment. I doubt it. They were all probably wood?

I am asking as it belongs to a friend and he thinks he should get around 700.00 out of. I think that may be at least 100.00 overvalued. But what do you guys think. I may be able to get a pic next week..

One thing that somewhat bothers me, is it is in .45 Auto. I am sure they are harder to find than the 9mms. But also considerably more expensive to feed though.Thanks

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

450.00 sounds a little low based on what we seen on GB and such for the .45 But maybe they just are oversold on there also. Non original stock probably does hurt quite a bit though. Though it is comfortable in your hands.

I unfortunately just quit reloading and sold all my stuff within the last six months.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do know the whereabouts of a original stock for around 50 Bucks. I am sure I could sell the Boyds off for more than that or atleast that much. But the Boyds does look fantastic on it though. Not original ,but aesthetically pleasing and very functional. Better than the original I am thinking in the that sense. But still not original I guess.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
In the condition you mentioned, I wouldn't pay $700 for it, but I imagine someone will.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I agree an aftermarket stock is the way to go as it will hold up better, but for selling most people want the rifle in the original configuration. If I owned one I would remove the original stock and set it aside in case I wanted to sell it down the line. Make sure the buffer is replaced on these, A broken buffer is what causes the stocks to crack from the recoil.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
when they first came out I bought one in 45acp with the standard walnut stock. it shot great. but I never liked the mag hanging down and the fact it was plastic, it just ain't me now days,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
507 Posts
As with any camp rifle make sure the buffer is not destroyed before you buy the rifle
I do not put any value on the extra stock. I think you would be hard-pressed to find someone that would give you $50 for it. If the Boyds stock is in good shape that is really all you need.

For me $700 is high end of the spectrum but not unreasonable

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, yes I know about replacing the Buffers in all our Semi Autos. I just replaced the one in my new to me 922M today. Same Buffer as the Camp 9s and 45s. one in my 922M was as suspected. Completely rotted away. I need to order a new one for my 99M1 .22 also. But at last cleaning it has not crumbled yet. Maybe it was already replaced by someone though.

That is a good idea. If I get it I will just get the 50.00 original stock and throw it the cabinet and keep the Boyds and run it with that one. He is a good friend. Maybe I can get it for 500.00 to 550.00 range or maybe less.

·
Registered
171 Posts
QUOTE"when they first came out I bought one in 45acp with the standard walnut stock. it shot great. but I never liked the mag hanging down and the fact it was plastic, it just ain't me now days,,,,,,,,,,,"

They were never made with walnut stocks.
It is Maine birch stained to look walnut

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
They are scarce around these parts, and the last one i saw for sale (just a week ago) at the local gun show was priced at $950.00. As far as I know, it has been on the table for the last several shows, and has not had much interest.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
My PD actually used them in our police cars for several years. The idea was sound, mags were interchangable with our 1911 45 pistols.

But... They were unreliable. Frequent malfunctions and yes, sometimes pieces of stock flew off while firing our qualifications with them.

A local gunsmith did wonderful things with them and made them 100% reliable, but... Still the stocks broke.

When I had the power to do so, I replaced them all with 5.56 AR-15's which proved to be trouble free.

I liked the Marlin camp carbines we had in .45, and an individual could likely enjoy one for many years. But for us, for a police department? They turned out to be disappointing.

FWIW, Guy

·
Registered
171 Posts
My PD actually used them in our police cars for several years. The idea was sound, mags were interchangable with our 1911 45 pistols.

But... They were unreliable. Frequent malfunctions and yes, sometimes pieces of stock flew off while firing our qualifications with them.

A local gunsmith did wonderful things with them and made them 100% reliable, but... Still the stocks broke.

When I had the power to do so, I replaced them all with 5.56 AR-15's which proved to be trouble free.

I liked the Marlin camp carbines we had in .45, and an individual could likely enjoy one for many years. But for us, for a police department? They turned out to be disappointing.

FWIW, Guy
Yeah it seems the factory buffers were too brittle, the recoil springs too weak, and the birch stocks took the beating. It is too bad that they stopped making them , because all those issues were almost eliminated by aftermarket companies. Blackjack makes excellent buffers that last 5k rounds. Wolff springs intoduced 16.5 and 21 lb. springs that work great, and a few companies made stock replacements. You rarely hear about cracked stocks anymore. Now AR15's & Mini 14's have replaced them in police cars .

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wonder if the OP purchased the M45? Like so many of these kind of threads, there is no closure for the rest if us....

FWIW, I’ve had my M45 for over 20 years and thoroughly enjoy it. It has been 100% reliable...after I polished the feed ramp and only used high-end mags. The first thing I did when I purchased it new was to replace the buffer and the recoil spring (went with the 21#), after several years and well over 1500 rounds the factory stock was perfect, but I replaced it with a Choate folder. It’s had numerous sights on it, from factory through red dots to the CrimsonTrace on it now.

Most ammo has beed factory-equivalent hardball, but it’s seen it’s share of potent handloads. My favorite is the Hornady 200 XTP over AA-7 for just under 1200 fps - which betters the 10mm Auto hunting loads. I’ve taken deer and hog with this load, the XTP holds up very well giving deep penetration and good expansion. Best part is that it groups around 2 moa at 75 yards, my personal max hunting distance.

The Boyd’s thumbhole is no longer made, so it may be worth more to someone who wants one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Camps have all been 9mm, but I shot a friend's .45. I really like these little carbines, but always considered them light duty guns. I can understand how they would not be robust enough for police work. I suspect Marlin intended them as casual plinkers, not something to be put to Mil/LE use.

The .45s are apparently more desirable than the 9s. And while I would not pay $700.00 for one, somebody probably would....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yup , there is a buyer out there for everything.....and 45acp carbines are in high demand .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts