Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this 12 guage Glenfield Model 50, 1970's production. The chamber length is not marked. My research seems to indicate, it is built with the same reciever/magazine/chamber as the 3inch Goose Gun, and is in fact a 3 inch shotgun. Does anyone know for sure? Will cycle and chamber 3 inch from mag, and will eject empty 3 inch shells. Short of actually firing 3 inch, can have my gunsmith check it, but hoping somebody may know.

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
Be careful....a 3" shell will chamber in a 2 3/4" shotgun.
But there is no room for the shotshell to open up upon detonation....have it checked!.
General rule of thumb with shotguns....if it is chambered for 3" it is always stamped on the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
From what little I can find online--lists the Glenny 50 as a 2.75 inch chamber. I would still have your gunsmith check it out as there doesn't seem to be a lot of data out there on this shotgun.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Be careful....a 3" shell will chamber in a 2 3/4" shotgun.
But there is no room for the shotshell to open up upon detonation....have it checked!.
General rule of thumb with shotguns....if it is chambered for 3" it is always stamped on the barrel.
Good advice. :top: A three inch shell will indeed chamber in a 2.75 inch chamber.

T.S.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Back in '67 I bought a Mod 55 through an executive at Marlin (his son was in my boy Scout Troop). The barrel is not marked 3" Magnum but he told me that is was chambered for 3" Magnum shells. On the other had, I never shot any 3" shells because I didn't feel like spending the extra money.

Reactions: Travlin
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.