Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marlin barrel chamber "hood"

Can anyone tell me the function of the extension on the top of a Marlin barrel just in front and above the chamber?

It looks to me to act like a bolt positioner or lock, but I don't see any scratch marks or bluing removal on my 336W bolt or or on the hood where the bolt stops.

Thanks NFG

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

I have no idea what your talking about. .. can you post a picture??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Look at the chamber end of a Marlin rifle barrel. There is a "hood" as I've seen it described as, or an extention piece just above the extractor slot. Page 183 in "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" by Mic McPherson, Brownell's and "Gun Parts schematics show it. Every Marlin 336 and Big Bore'sl have the same "hood" sticking out.

NFG

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

If they all have it , they must need it for something..

·
Registered
74 Posts

That "hood' or shroud of the barrel holds the extractor(#19 @ Brownells) open or off of the shell. When you cycle the action the extractor falls into the groove of the shell and pulls the shell out of the barrel. The extractor moves with the bolt.
The "hood" may also assist in other loading actions.

·
Registered
74 Posts

NFG, I have also read on other posts about used gun purchases that warn about missing or broken extractors or ejector springs.

Is the extractor intact on your rifle?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marlin barrel hood

Thanks, Guys. I don't have any problems with my Marlin, I want to chamber a 416 cal barrel for XLR. Milling that hood is a fairly complicated process and I was trying to understand the "why's and wherefore's" and other requirements of the hood, along with the dimensions.

Fuction could be supporting the cartridge rim or head, a bolt stop, bolt support or another obscure function, I can't seem to find anyone who knows exactly.

I have written to Marlin requesting whatever information they will give me. Just though someone on one of the forums might enlighten me.

Thanks NFG

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

TOMRAY can probably answer it..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts