Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are large stockholders in the company and are seeking information form real gun enthusiasts. I am interested in feedback on the Marlin and H&R products and product lines. What people like or do not like? What products that we do not sell that people are wanting us to sell. This is important to us, so any information or insight you might have would be valuable to us in shaping the direction of the company.

I would like to compile information on the direction of Marlin Firearms and H&R Firearms; the kind of information I am seeking is:

1) What are your opinions on Marlin Firearms?

2) What are your opinions on H&R Firearms?

3) What do you feel are their key strengths and weaknesses?

4) What about their products do you like or not like?

5) What specific products do you wish we had in our product lines?

6) If you had a chance to run the company, what ideas and plans would you introduce?

7) If you had the opportunity to buy shares of Marlin and H&R, would you?

In conclusion, please add any other information you deem relevant. Thank you for your time and input.

Diana Lynch
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts

I only own 3 Marlin, all rimfires, they are fine rifles and fulfill all my needs in them.

I own a bunch of H&R/NEF rifles, about 19 the last time I counted. They are also fine rifles and after lots of tinkering on most of them, they are very accurate and reliable.

Strength are their simplistic design, easy to swap barrels, simple to use with minimal parts to wear out. Cost is high on the list, an entire rifle costs less than the other American made single shot rifle barrels and accessory barrels are available at a very reasonable cost.

Weaknesses are mainly quality control issues, just about every recoil pad on all my rifles has at least one stripped mounting hole on it from the factory. Bore and chamber dimensions are real erratic, my 45-70s have real short throats, my 7x64 Brenneke has an extremely long throat with over ½" of freebore with the largest 7mm bullet made seated as far out as I safely can! Some of the new .204 Barrels have been received by customers with rifling in only half of the bore, the remaining portion of the bore was smooth.....for a few examples.

The H&R/NEF caliber choice could be expanded to include some of the popular calibers like the 35 Whelen, 444 Marlin, 357 Magnum that have been offered in the past, and new caliber options such as the 338-06, 6.5x55 would be nice. Barrels that fit frames without having to be fitted at the factory would be nice, but that gets back to quality control issues.

This is a good start, thanks for askiing!! :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Please my post in the big bore forum............didn't realize you had posted here also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
H&R/NEF guns

8)
Truthfully, I love NEF/H&R guns. I only have a few complaints. If these items were addressed, I think these guns would be top notch!

1. Do like Thompson Center does and make the receivers able to accept ANY barrels they produce! I have always found it crazy to have to send a receiver back to be "fitted" for a barrel. We should be able to order a 12 gauge barrel, a .223 or a .45/70 and screw it onto any receiver.
2. Which leads me to my next point, make the receivers the same! Why can only a "rifle" receiver accept rifle barrels, shotgun barrels and muzzleloader barrels? A shotgun receiver should be able to accept rifle barrels. This is probably the WORST feature of NEF/H&R guns.
3. Offer more guns with a true walnut stock/forend instead of the "walnut stained" hardwood. Currently, only the buffalo models and the new topper classic deluxe are in true walnut. If they offered that as an "upgrade" on ANY of their guns, I guarantee sales would increase!

I have killed many deer with my trusty single shot, NEF 20 gauge with rifled barrel and open sites. I have also killed deer and elk with my .243 H&R Ultra. They are quality guns at unbelievably low prices. Implement the suggestions above, and NEF/H&R will be SO MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL and well respected in the hunting/gun communities.

Tommy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have owned two Marlins, one in 30-30 with an octagon barrel this one should come back in 30-30, 38-55 and 44-40. Also one 1895 in 45-70. I loved both guns and still have the 1895. I owned one NEF pardner 12ga shotgun which I liked very well.

I think that with NEF and H&R most stocks should be available in walnut not hardwood. I find the overly large buttstock in relation to the skimpy fore stock to detract from the looks of the rifle. I would like to see an option for custom calibres in the NEF, H&R line. If it ran around $50-$100 for a person to have a calibre they wanted, keeping in mind the structural limits of the rifle in mind, I think quite a few could be sold. I would pay extra to have a pistol grip stock on a Buffalo Classic or Target Model.

As for purchasing stock I would be for this option.

Sent via e-mail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. Do like Thompson Center does and make the receivers able to accept ANY barrels they produce! I have always found it crazy to have to send a receiver back to be "fitted" for a barrel. We should be able to order a 12 gauge barrel, a .223 or a .45/70 and screw it onto any receiver.
2. Which leads me to my next point, make the receivers the same! Why can only a "rifle" receiver accept rifle barrels, shotgun barrels and muzzleloader barrels? A shotgun receiver should be able to accept rifle barrels. This is probably the WORST feature of NEF/H&R guns.
3. Offer more guns with a true walnut stock/forend instead of the "walnut stained" hardwood. Currently, only the buffalo models and the new topper classic deluxe are in true walnut. If they offered that as an "upgrade" on ANY of their guns, I guarantee sales would increase!
DITTO WITH THE ABOVE:

also:

make them a little more tolerant to case length so they don't stick on ejection.
come up with another way to attach the forearm, if the wood is not perfect I've found it can and will effect accuracy. case in mind...
customers 243 was patterening not grouping.
come to find out forearm was tight on one side of the barrel. took some wood off and its now doing 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yrds.

put open sights on them and leave the option for open sights or scope mounts.
half cock safety would be nice also.

one last thing, either drop the height of the hammer or more slant for close fitting scopes.

other then these few grips, its a fine rifle for the buck....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Marlins are great guns and need to keep up the good work. I have a rimfire marlin and 2 NEF/H&R shotguns.
Ditto
Marlin is American, well priced, and make quality arms, Ditto H&R.
4) What about their products do you like or not like?
I like the many model choices. Wish H&R/NEF would stop importing that chinese "Pardner Pump", its a disgrace to the pardner name.
I wish H&R would make Handi rifles in .32mag, .41mag, and 7mm-08.
6) If you had a chance to run the company, what ideas and plans would you introduce?
Keep it the same, just no importing.
7) If you had the opportunity to buy shares of Marlin and H&R, would you?
When I have the money, yes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts