Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was posted several days ago on the Rimfire with little response. Doc Sharptail thought I shoudl give it a go here. The barrel is clearly stamped 995 and has the folding rear sight and hooded front sight. Below is the rest of the description.

I recently picked up a model 995 and am having a devil of a time finding pictures of models that match my gun. I am starting to wonder if I got some bastardized gun. It is wood stocked with a barrel band. The sling swivel needs to be replaced and Marlin lists it no where on the parts order form I recieved. Anybody have some pictures of a 995 or several 995s I could see for reference? I would appreciate it. All the photos I see, have either synthetic stocks or wood and no barrel band. I am begining to think someone switched stocks on it years ago. I wish I had one without the barrel band and may need to find a walnut replacement stock. Any ideas or advice welcome.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Dave,

The 995 is an improved version of the 990 which is an improved version of the 989M2... etc & so forth. There are many similarities between many of the autoloader models, and it comes as no surprise that some of the stocks interchange. I believe it is quite possible that someone - as they say in milsurp circles - 'force fit' a stock from something else.

Does it take a sling swivel or just the swivel stud? www.brownells.com lists these parts & they are common to several models. SW

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has the barrel band with the swivel stud that hangs from the band. Kind of like a screw in sling swivel. I am hoping to either replace all the band an sswivel or the whole stock and get the barrel band removed altogether. I don't like the way barrel bands look on firearms.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Dave,

It shouldn't be too hard to find a genuine 995 stock. Vintage Sporting Goods & Equipment usualy has a good assortment. E-mail: [email protected] He has some 22 stocks listed in the last Gun List. Also watch the online auctions. I would imagine that it won't set you back that much.

The factory stock must have been broken & replacedwith what sounds very much like a model 70 stock. Several models of Marlin 22 auto loader have the same dimensions stock-wise. SW

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I just recieved my second packet of info from Marlin today and it included a page that wasn't in the last packet. I am nearly certain at this point that the 995 didn't ship with a barrel banded stock. Could someone confirm this please? I did notice that Marlin wants $90 for a replacement stock. I only paid $95 for the gun out the door! I am not sure I'd liek to spend that on a stock. I guess as much as I don't want to go the synthetic route It may be the most economical at only $50.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=082Zz995

Take a look around here, Dave. The schematic shows a bbl band stock, but also shows the take down stock for the 70-P. Someone may indeed have ordered and used a replacement stock from Numrich.

The pictures of the 995 in my reference books show what appears to be a birch stock with no bbl band... the listing for the model 70 shows the same stock in the schematic as they do for the 995, but a different stock description in the parts list. It may be worth your while to contact them as the prices are cheap compared to Marlin...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doc. I'll give that a whirl. I am thinking about talking to Marlin Customer Service again too just to verify the models existance. I greatly apreciate the help sir.

Yep it's parts 38 and 39 that I am looking for. I really need to decide now how hung up on barrel bands I am. I am also thinking about getting a spare stock so I could cut one down for my son to use as he grows into a full size stock. Maybe the current stock is just that donor....hummmm.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You could become a Marlin semi-auto collector, too! :wink: SW

·
Registered
335 Posts
Dave, I have a 995. It has a pistol grip stock, chequered, NO barrel band, 7 round clip fed. Hooded front sight, flip down rear. Quite an accurate little gun. I've got a 4x scope mounted on it with a 32 mm objective. When I got it, it had no swivel studs. It is 22LR only..........Buck 8) :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
1979 marlin 995

Have a 1979 model 995 & Yes, it Does have a barrel band so check your serial # for year built. Have a '07 model 60, too & love both of these Marlins. Don't discriminate against B-band. Still a great rifle. Will never part with either of mine. Peace out

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine is a Stainless Steel version with the plastic stock .....I would like a nicer stock .

·
Registered
285 Posts
...a year later and I would still like a nicer stock !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 995 I've had since the early 90s. Great gun.

For a stock, Numrich lists 995 stocks. Mine is walnut with pressed checkering. Otherwise, check with Boyd's. They have replacement stocks for quite a few Marlins. You can use a Boyd stock for a 795. However the trigger guard/ mag well on a 795 is one piece, not two as on the 995. So you might have to change TGs. But the rest should be the same as the 795 is really a later version of the 995. And if I recall correctly the 995 SS has a last shot bolt hold open like the 795? My 995 is blue and does not have a hold open.

DIP makes replacement trigger assembly and trigger guards for 995s (use their m60 TG for a 995 stock) or you should be able to fit their 795 TG to your 995 action in a new Boyd 795 stock. Email DIP's customer service to confirm. They were very responsive to me when i was replacing my 995 TG because my original plastic TG cracked from age. Either way the DIP trigger is adjustable and a big improvement over the stock trigger.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks Spad-

I ordered a stock from Numrich and a new trigger guard assembly from Dip !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts