Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Marlin 989G .22lr project underway, UPDATE (95%)

I have just begun a rebuild/refinish job for my Dad's Marlin 989G .22lr that he bought when he was a kid. I have a few questions that maybe some of you can help with. I will post a few threads with one question each to try and make replying a little easier. Here are the "start" pictures. I have already removed the butt plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First question is, do I have any hope of getting the barrel removed from the receiver without damage? The barrel is pointing left in the pics. First pic is the left side, what I believe to be the barrel pin. It is noticeably recessed. The second pin is the right side, the pin is noticeably mushroomed. I imagine the pin should come out left to right. If I can't get them separated, then I will tape of one, work the other, and then switch the tape and work the other. I plan on removing the rust from the barrel and then rebluing, and I plan on sanding the receiver and repainting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last question for now, what is THIS? I think it just holds the spring in place, but it looks like it was meant to be attached to something? It looks too long and dangly and it flops around a little. I haven't shot this gun in 30 years, but the action works and the firing pin goes click when dry fired, so I think it is functioning properly. I appreciate any help ya'll can offer, and BTW if you click on the pictures they will enlarge. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Last question for now, what is THIS? I think it just holds the spring in place, but it looks like it was meant to be attached to something? It looks too long and dangly and it flops around a little. I haven't shot this gun in 30 years, but the action works and the firing pin goes click when dry fired, so I think it is functioning properly. I appreciate any help ya'll can offer, and BTW if you click on the pictures they will enlarge. Thanks
If you are familiar with the model 60 dis-assembly procedures, that dangly thing corresponds to the "paper clip" that is put into the hammer strut to prevent the hammer spring and the strut bridge from flying across the room when the action is taken apart. Maybe it was left in, to keep from forgetting to put it in when the action was taken apart.
If the barrel and receiver on your 989G is similar to a model 60 in construction, then the general consensus is to NOT to disassemble it. The barrel is pressed in with spines and is extremely difficult to take apart successfully, and just as difficult to reassemble. You can do a search of the forum about barrel removal. Not saying that it can't be done, but I would hate for you to mess up something on your Dad's old rifle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Marvlin - I think I will trim the paperclip and leave it in place. The action is pretty clean for a 52 year old gun, so I will leave it together and just freshen it up some.

I will NOT attempt to remove the barrel (I think this gun is more similar to the model 70, which has the same "spline" attachment you have described). No need to risk irreparable damage. I will just meticulously tape of the receiver and de rust and re blue the barrel, and then tape of the barrel, and sand down and repaint the receiver while taping off the parts I don't want paint in, and stuffing screw holes with small balls of paper to keep paint from running into them. I appreciate your help guys!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that is your recoil buffer,and can be purchased through Numrich arms for cheap.
Well, nobody makes the specific part for a 52 year old gun anymore. I am going to have to order a modern one and shim up the pin hole somehow, but thanks for your guidance, and thanks to some other posts on Marlin Owners to give some ideas about custom fitting the modern part. I will make it work!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well, nobody makes the specific part for a 52 year old gun anymore. I am going to have to order a modern one and shim up the pin hole somehow, but thanks for your guidance, and thanks to some other posts on Marlin Owners to give some ideas about custom fitting the modern part. I will make it work!
Don't worry about the pin hole being sloppy. It doesn't do much anyhow. The pin is just there to keep the buffer from falling off of the action. It doesn't take any of the impact from the bolt. The back of the receiver takes all of the impact. If the pin had to absorb all of the hits from the bolt, it would be sheared off in no time. The buffer in my 1999 is sloppy as heck on the pin.

Reactions: toad67

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are familiar with the model 60 dis-assembly procedures, that dangly thing corresponds to the "paper clip" that is put into the hammer strut to prevent the hammer spring and the strut bridge from flying across the room when the action is taken apart. Maybe it was left in, to keep from forgetting to put it in when the action was taken apart.
If the barrel and receiver on your 989G is similar to a model 60 in construction, then the general consensus is to NOT to disassemble it. The barrel is pressed in with spines and is extremely difficult to take apart successfully, and just as difficult to reassemble. You can do a search of the forum about barrel removal. Not saying that it can't be done, but I would hate for you to mess up something on your Dad's old rifle.
So, the little dangly thing did not last. I field stripped it, and worked the action with my fingers a couple times, and it broke off. Then when I worked the action again, the spring came out of the bracket. I got it back together without much effort, but my question is this: With gun reassembled, and the dangly thing missing, will the assemblage of the gun keep the spring in place? Is the dangly thing just to keep things in place when the gun is stripped?

·
Registered
848 Posts
With gun reassembled, and the dangly thing missing, will the assemblage of the gun keep the spring in place? Yes
Is the dangly thing just to keep things in place when the gun is stripped? Yes

If you release the hammer with the action removed from the upper receiver, the hammer will travel too far and the hammer spring will come off at times. The hammer is kept from traveling too far by the rear face of the bolt when it is all assembled.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time for an update! I hit the stock with Citrus Strip, it worked really well. Stock is almost dry and ready to sand. Then I will work it with boiled linseed oil. I hear the best is to apply many many light coats. One coat a day for a week, one coat a week for a month, one coat a month for a year, and then once a year.

A little 0000 steel wool and some elbow grease got the old paint off of the receiver. It shined up very nicely. I just painted it flat olive drab (no pics of that yet) it looks really cool!

Birchwood Casey's reblueing kit cleaned up the barrel very nicely! Bye bye rust, hello blue! I was really impressed with how good it came out. You can actually read the barrel stamp now.

Purchased a new recoil buffer from Numrich's. Fits right in despite the larger pin hole. No worries there. Got the action all cleaned up, and ready for reassemble after another coat of paint on the receiver, and a few coats of linseed oil on the stock.

Thanks for all the guys who helped so far!
Click the pics to enlarge, and check out the rust on the barrel in the earlier posts.

Hand Finger Nail
Finger Arm Hand Wood Thumb
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part
Knife Machete Bumper Kitchen knife
Pipe Metal

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Looks like you're doing a fine job. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is my first major gun project, and I am so pleased at the results so far! Thanks a lot to some guys on this forum. I could not believe how well the de-rust, re-blue of the barrel came out, and I gotta tell you, the stock didn't have any justice done to it for 50+ years. After stripping, and just one coat of boiled linseed oil, the grain is really popping! After about 30 more coats, it oughta be top notch show room Purdy! I believe it is Birchwood.

I hope it fires when I get it all back together. I would like this to be my daughter's first shooter (not quite yet, she is only 4). It sure would be a nice legacy for her Granddaddy to leave for her.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright! Almost done. There are about 10 coats of boiled linseed oil on the stock. I think I need about 40 more, but I couldn't;t resist putting it back together and posting some pics of it nearly complete. Thanks again for the folks who helped me out here. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Pops will be pleased too!

Click on the pics to enlarge.
Wood
Musical instrument Wood Plucked string instruments
Gun Trigger Table Wood Shotgun

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Looking good :congrats:. I like it.

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Really nice job Theo! I love this forum for a lot of reasons, but one of them is you can talk about doohickeys and dangly things without somebody making fun of you! Great pictures you took made it easy for the experts! Joh

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really nice job Theo! I love this forum for a lot of reasons, but one of them is you can talk about doohickeys and dangly things without somebody making fun of you! Great pictures you took made it easy for the experts! Joh
Yeah, me too. The doohickey was a recoil buffer, but the dangly thing really was a dangly thing. Weren't no other name for it.:flute:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Restoring older 22's is a labor of love. Regarding barrel/receiver.... If you don't have a barrel vice, it can't be done without destroying the receiver. However, the receiver can be re-blued with the barrel. I did a similar restoration project as documented here:
Marlin Model 80 Restoration Project - RimfireCentral.com Forums

If I can help, PM me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.