Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new guy here, Weston from Texas.

I have a Marlin 94 (pictured) and was told by Centerofthewest.org that my serial# is too new, but I still want to know the date of the gun is. The rep didn't tell me. I was told by the person who gave it to me that it's a short .22 cal? I've tried to research as much as possible, but not finding anything exactly like this one.

Thanks for your knowledge!

:beerglass:Cheers

2014-05-27 20.16.04.jpg 2014-05-27 20.16.21.jpg 2014-05-27 20.16.41 copy.jpg

·
Registered
661 Posts
Another welcome from Colorado. You rifle is not a cowboy model as they are of fairly recent manufacture. I believe the 94 was chambered for .22 mag at one time, this may be one of those.
Could also be a .25-20 or a .32-20. It looks like a pretty nice rifle, I hope your gunsmith doesn't go hog wild taking the rust off. Let us know how it turns out.
The serial number indicates 1947 as the DOM.

Regards

Reactions: Texas94

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcoming, Old-Machinist and Cobirdhunter.

Dang, I really want to figure this out. Thank you for the kind words on the rifle, it was my Grandfather's who was a bird hunter. I'm really fond of his 16-gauge shotgun too.

The gunsmith assured me they wouldn't go hog wild on getting the rust off, but they did tell me that it would take some of the finish off but it's better than leaving the rust and eventually destroying the gun. I'll keep it maintained now that it's in my care as well. Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
On top of the barrel where it meets the receiver the caliber should be stamped on the barrel.
it's hard to tell but your serial number doesn't look that new if its a five or six digit number go to old guns dot net and enter your serial number it should tell you what year it is.

Your pictures are blurry but it looks as though there is no stamping on the upper Tang behind the hammer I can't see if your lever is a model 1889 or not but it could be a pre model 1894 rifle which would be a model 1889. We need clear pictures we need to see the role stamp on the barrel and any other markings on the gun to be able to help you out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My apologies for the phone pictures. I'll call the gunsmith and ask to get document photos before cleaning. I will post new photos once I get it back from the shop.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Looking at your pictures, it looks like a vintage 1894. From what I can tell, it's definitely not a .22. It could be a .25-20. It's a keeper and make sure the smith doesn't use any machining or abrasive intrusion. You can get the year of manufacture through the library on this forum. If you can't find it, PM me the serial number and I'll look it up for you. You can also get the caliber of the rifle on the top of the barrel in front of the receiver.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, HDStreet and Old-Machinist. 1947 it is. The gunsmith told me that they will take extra care of this and that the cleaning will reveal the caliber. Here's to waiting 5 days

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thank you, HDStreet and Old-Machinist. 1947 it is. The gunsmith told me that they will take extra care of this and that the cleaning will reveal the caliber. Here's to waiting 5 days
You're welcome, Brother. Post some good pictures of that beauty and more information when you get her back from the smithy.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! I think we are all as anxious for you to get your rifle back as you are. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Texas94 well im home now on my home computer and the pictures are much clearer than on my cell! I see now you have a model 94 marked on the tang which is a model 1894 but in later years they dropped the 18 and made it just 94! The model 94 was made 1905-1933.

I also see your serial number begins with a D. Unfortunately that DOM is not 1947. That date code is only for the later modern Marlins 1946 and on I believe. The A,B,C and D prefixes were believed to be from the 20's and there is no way to nail it down exactly. Marlin changed ownership a few times and the serial number sequence changed also!

There are a few guys here who could get you closer on a date that know more than me. They will need to see the barrel roll stamp, tang marking, if there is a star stamped on the tang and if there is the trademark bulls eye in the butt stock. I'm sure they will be along soon!

Very cool old Marlin. I have one in 44-40.

It certainly is not a .22 caliber. These were only made in 25-20, 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, Mark. Yes - I've looked at those PDFs, but I think I just don't have enough info on the gun until I get it back from being cleaned so I can see the engravings.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Unfortunately when looking up these date codes you must first know as in this case if you have a model 1894 Vintage, a model 94 or a modern 1894 from 1946? and on. This can be determined by barrel and tang roll stamps and New Haven or North Haven on the barrel. Also co. or corp. on the barrel. It unfortunately isn't as easy as just looking it up in the reference section and getting it correct without all of this information.
Even with all that some can not be dated exactly as Marlin changed hands a few times. Serial number sequences changed and serial number recording stopped at times through production.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...tes-manufacture-info-39a-stats-1952-75-a.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Texas94 well im home now on my home computer and the pictures are much clearer than on my cell! I see now you have a model 94 marked on the tang which is a model 1894 but in later years they dropped the 18 and made it just 94! The model 94 was made 1905-1933.

I also see your serial number begins with a D. Unfortunately that DOM is not 1947. That date code is only for the later modern Marlins 1946 and on I believe. The A,B,C and D prefixes were believed to be from the 20's and there is no way to nail it down exactly. Marlin changed ownership a few times and the serial number sequence changed also!

There are a few guys here who could get you closer on a date that know more than me. They will need to see the barrel roll stamp, tang marking, if there is a star stamped on the tang and if there is the trademark bulls eye in the butt stock. I'm sure they will be along soon!

Very cool old Marlin. I have one in 44-40.

It certainly is not a .22 caliber. These were only made in 25-20, 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40!
Thanks for taking a second look. You've just opened my eyes with your comments. Can't wait to get it back from the smithy now and learn more, take detailed pics, etc. I will get that information back to this thread as soon as I get it back.

I was told that it was an early 1900's, but the "D 7xxx" in the serial comes up on some PDFs that it's 1947. These next 5 days or so are going to ruin me - haha.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut

1 - 20 of 35 Posts