Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I just purchased a new Marbles tang sight for my 93. When I received it I was impressed with the quality. Today I removed the rear sight and replaced it with a blank, carefully mounted the tang sight and was anxious to go shoot the 93. Low and behold, when I cycled the action the bolt hits the sight. I could use it if I move the post back before I cycle the action every time. Any suggestions? Were the originals the same? I really can't see iron sights well anymore so I am sort of undecided as what to do, put up with it or just take it off and send it back to Brownells. :?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Marbles in the old days made what they called their "flexible" sight. It would rebound back up with the bolt moving forward. The new ones do not have this feature. I would just use my thumb to move it back up into postition. Parley

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Pretty common problem with all tang sights on larger framed Marlins. Brand doesn't matter, as they all had the same problem, except for the Marbles "Special Flexible Base" tang sight, which unlike the standard flexible base, moved the sight rearward and up above the top of the comb.
I have a few of these on various old Marlins, and they really clear everything. They require a very small aperture, because of the close proximity to your eye.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
not to run this thread off topic, but- where can I find one of them sites for a old model 93? ...something with a rustic look to match the condition of my rifle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's guys. If I stay with the sight I have now, do you have any suggestions to keep the post from marring the rear of the bolt and itself? Is it OK to just let the bolt hit the sight or should I pull it back AND push it forward between shots? Also, could you guys tell me what model I should look for in an original sight that wouldn't have this problem? That "Special Flexible Base" sight seems ideal. I bought my sight from Brownells. THANKS GUYS!

·
Banned
398 Posts
I have a few old Marlins with Lyman tang sights & I had not had that
problem when mounting a tang sight. When this happens it usually
means the wrong application for the gun & you are mounting it in the wrong holes. Most of my Marlins are 1893 & 1894 which take J or Ja or E.
If you look on pages 644-5 will you find the correct application.
Marbles applications are on page 649 & 651 of Brophy's book on Marlin
firearms. The correct holes for mounting are the 2 small holes on the
upper tang not the hole that holds the buttstock on to the receiver.
The correct code for the tang sight will be stamped underneath the sight.
Hope this helps. Jorgy. I believe without talking to Brownell's that these
newer tang sights are made for the current models Marlin is making.
That would make a difference in your bolt hitting the sight whe you cycle
the action.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply Jorgy. The sights Marbles sells are for original 1894's and 1893's, they also sell others. They do mount in the factory tapped screws for the tang sight. I noticed that it would also fit my 1936. I imagine that the 1894 with it's shorter bolt might not hit the sight but it is advertised as also being for the 1893 and it hits it well before the end of it's travel. I will have to check out the sights in the Brophy book.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The old Marbles number for your gun will be a M4 or M5. The special flexible base sights have the same number, but the base is longer, and curves up at the rear to raise the sight.
Sights for the model 1893 are less common than those for other smaller frame Marlins, but still found often on Ebay, or at gun shows. They generally run in the $125-$175 range. The special bases run about $50-$100 more, and are very scarce.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Marlinman 93. If I find one of the regular flexible base sights I guess it will still hit the sight but just pop back up by itself? Is this the norm if I can't find a "special flexible base"? If so, what were they thinking and how would you protect your bolt and sight?
THANKS!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
As Jorgy mentioned, Lyman sights were set to clear the bolt. marbles had this problem, but honestly, I have old 1893's that have had a Marbles on them since they were new, and I can't see any harm to the bolt or the sight. I don't know about the new Marbles, but the old ones barely touched.

G

·
I don't have any of the Marble's yet ,but was planning on getting one for my 1892 Marlin . I have eight of the Lymans; on a 1936 , new 1894's ,new 336's and a new 1895. And I've yet to experience that problem.

G

·
I have the new sight on my 1936. As I'm sure you know these sights have no windage adjustment ,and that is my only fault with them ! I would rather have the Marbles (w/o the problem) but $55 vs. $125 is a lot considering I have 8 of the sights !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Guys, well there is a Lyman J on e-bay right now. In the Brophy book it lists the J for the blackpowder cartridges and the JA for the smokeless cartridges. The hole spacing on the sight is correct, would a J work on my 32 Special even thogh it is smokeless? Also, Jorgy, do you have a first model or second model 1936? I have a first model and it has the same hole spacing as a 1893. I think the new Lyman sight has a narrower hole spacing? Thanks Guys!

·
Banned
398 Posts
I do not have any 1936 Marlins in my collection right now. Over the last 3
years I have been upgrading my collection to where is no modern
Marlins anymore. Basically all my Marlins were made before 1915
withthe exception of a couple of modern 39a's for plinking.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Wiktor,
The blackpowder J would work fine on a smokeless 1893. It will have more adjustment height than you'll need, but it will still go low enough to work fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Guys,
Thank you very much for your replys, I really appreciate it. I just got an e-mail from Marbles and they said that they now realize the bolt does hit the sight and are in the process of redesigning it. Now I am in a pickle because if they bring it to market, it sure would be a nice sight due to the windage adjustment!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Email them back, and ask them what they plan to do about your dight hitting the bolt. They may take it back, and install the upright stem on a new style base! It's always worth a try!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good advice Marlinman 93 but I already sent it back to Brownells. I wish I had gotten the e-mail from Marble's a day earlier. I did send an e-mail back to them to ask them further about the new base though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts