Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here and have had Marlins since the `80s and now have two more that Uncle Buck gave me and am looking for any information like Manufacture dates on them. He thinks there from the early 1900s.
Rifle #1 is `93 Takedown in 38-55 searial D83#6
#2 is a Solid frame in 25-36 Marlin 387#99

Any Idea where I can get 25-36 or 25-35 Brass?
Buffalo supply has reloading dies.
Thanks, Goexx

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The .25-36 is most likely from 1908-09, as they stopped keeping records in 1906 at 355,600. The other is probably post WWI as it's marked '93, but the D prefix can be a tough one to pin down. Need a bit more info on it, such as complete barrel rollstamp, tang marking, and location of serial number. This will help date it better. I don't see many takedowns with '93 marked tangs, as most were earlier 1893 marked tangs.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marlinman,
Both rifles have stamped on tang.... Model
" 1893 "
Both barrels top left have Special Smokeless Steel.

Both have
Marlin fire-arms co. Newhaven ct, usa
Patened oct 11.1887, April 2. 1889. August 1. 1893 on top of barrel in front of the rear sight.

38-55 And 25-36 M on top rear of barrel.
Marlin Safety on top of reciever.

Both searial numbers are stamped on the bottem of the reciever in front.
Another same searial number is on the side of tang under the stock
Thanks for your help, Larry/Goexx

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I'd guess the second one (.38-55 1893) to be either just before, or right after WWI. There's a lot of unknowns surrounding the early 1893's with prefix letters, but the fact it has the old rollstamps, and is a takedown, leads me to believe it is from this era. Marlin didn't have a custom shop to build special order guns after WWI, but I do believe the new owners assembled these guns from pre war parts. Can't narrow it down much closer than that.

G

·
Goexx said:
Hello, I am new here and have had Marlins since the `80s and now have two more that Uncle Buck gave me and am looking for any information like Manufacture dates on them. He thinks there from the early 1900s.
Rifle #1 is `93 Takedown in 38-55 searial D83#6
#2 is a Solid frame in 25-36 Marlin 387#99

Any Idea where I can get 25-36 or 25-35 Brass?
Buffalo supply has reloading dies.
Thanks, Goexx
Goexx, I also got a 25-36 fairly recently , but I had about 60 pieces of new 25-35 on hand. It seems WW makes a run once a year and no one seems to have any at the moment as I would like to have about 100 more pieces. Another option is to 25-35 factory loads , although quite a bit more expensive :?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
You could try resizing them from .30-30 brass, but once you've resized, if you're not using .25-36 dies, then you need to set .25-35 dies to just neck size the brass on reloading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Marlinman and 6PNT I will have to watch for them Winchester brass to be available but untoll then I'll watch the gun shows and ask around.
Do you think the old barrel in the 25-36 will handle new jacketed bullets that come in the new Winchester loading of there 25-35 or should I stay with reloaded lead ammo when I can make it. The bore is crisp , clean and shinny in it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Should you score some jacketed .25-35, I don't think it will hurt to shoot a few boxes through your gun to facilitate getting once fired brass. I wouldn't make a steady diet of it, but it is a smokeless steel barrel, so a little jacketed now and then wont ruin it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I was hoping I could do this and then get some reloading dies. My gun shop says they can special order some Win. 25-35s for me. It may be a while before I can post how things go but I will get back on this. Thanks again, Goexx

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Look forward to hearing how it shoots Goexx!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts