Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(My first post - a question) I recently decided that I needed a .22 magnum and found a Marlin 925m with a Tasco 3x9 40mm scope at the first pawn shop I visited. The bore was dirty, which is what I have come to expect from pawn shop guns, but overall it appeared to be in decent shape and I bought it. My first test resulted in about 40% failures to fire and 30% failure to eject. After replacing a blunted firing pin and bending the ejector wire to the proper position the second test had zero failures. And after cleaning the bore was perfect. My question concerns powder residue in the magazine well. There is quite a lot of powder residue on both sides of the magazine well. Is this normal for these rifles, or is this an indication of a headspace problem? I do not see any other obvious signs of a headspace problem.

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Pennsylvania!!!

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
19,689 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the warm welcome!. I am using CCI Green, but the powder residue was present when I bought the rifle so I don't know what ammo deposited the powder residue in the magazine well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you test for best grouping, try to include a box of Federal 50gr. Marlins seem to really do well with them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have two of these rifles and love them. They are very accurate and reliable. You made a good choice. I have no powder residue from Hornady .22 mag. ammo or the Winchester ammo. The prior owner may have shot cheap ammo with little or no cleaning or tried to shoot .22 rim fire as others have done. Sometimes that works, but not well.

You can check for residue later after a good cleaning, which you probably have done.

I wanted to buy another I found in a pawn shop when I was visiting in Florida, but the their new laws prohibit non residents from purchasing long guns there as is possible in most other states. Pity.

·
Registered
29,565 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Welcome from SE Wisconsin.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Welcome from Texas, I have a 925 in lr nice guns, I never noticed a lot of powder in the mag well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks. I will brush out the magazine well as best I can and fire about 50 rounds when the weather gets a bit better here. (I am unsure about using cleaners on the unfinished wood.)

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Back in the obummer days when you could not find mags you shot any you could get, IMO some imports were very dirty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts