Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used Marlin 917vs at local gun show. I am looking for some information on it. It has a laminate stock, stainless barrel, and blued reciever. This is not the usual configuration for the 917vs with the reciever and trigger guard being blued. Was this a specail run or dealer exclusive of some sort? I have seen posts mention of a limted dealer run of a 917h with this set up. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice looking rifle! What are the first 4 digits of the serial number (letters/numbers)?

I hope you have ammunition already on hand, or that you are able to find ammo at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first four digits of ser# are 9663. Yes, I already have ammo on hand for it. I had been looking for a Marlin 917vs for a little while and just happened upon this one. I already have a 925m and 917m2 from same year. So I was pretty happy with finding this one.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Your new rifle was made in 2004. I'll have to check my 2004 catalog to see which models were advertised that year.

Reactions: Jbmaple

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
The 2004 catalog shows the 917vs with what appears to be all stainless parts, so that doesn't help much. What model number is stamped into the barrel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that’s how I’ve always seen them also. They all had stainless parts. But I’ve seen a few posts on diff sites that talked about ones with blued parts and stainless barrel. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
There are many models out there that I call mystery models because they have slightly modified or different features that weren't advertised in the catalogs.

I'm not a collector or a subject matter expert. I wanted to check a few resources that I have, to see if I could help answer some of your questions.

I hope the rifle shoots as good as it looks.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
You might try asking your question in the Marlin Collector's sub-forum, here...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll try asking there too. Yes, I’m hoping to get out and shoot it when weather warms up. Also might upgrade scope. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts