Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came with a synthetic stock, and I just so happened to have someone send me a Marlin 880SQ wood stock, it seems like most of them will swap between each other. I just want the factory wood look on mine, does anyone know which ones will fit between each other.

Heavy barrel contour.

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
It is not a direct swap. The trigger assembly on the 900 series rifles are different than the older non 900 series triggers and they require more room in the stock. I have a 25MN and a new Marlin 980 with the 900 series trigger. I tried to swap stocks and the 980 would not fit into the 25MN stock. Pictures attached are the 25MN and the 980. The 25mn is the blued and the 980 is the stainless. The stock picture has the 25MN stock on top and the Marlin 980 on the bottom. ~James

Marlin 900 trigger.jpg Marlin non 900 trigger.jpg stocks 900 vs non 900 trigger.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the stock came in from numrich today with the trigger guard and some screws. I took 3 measurements with dial calipers and it required a 220 grit, 320 grit and a 80 grit pieces of sandpaper to make this 880sq stock fit on the marlin 917. Hardest part was what can of minwax to spray on sanded parts.

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Question, does it say on the barrel that it is a model 917? I never seen a 917 with an adjustable trigger only the new XT Marlin's have them, so I thought:hmmmm:

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Did some research and it must be either a transition model or some kind of Walmart special. In 2004 is when the 900 series rifles came out and ended in 2010. None of the 900 series rifles listed in the catalogs had an adjustable trigger. In 2011 the new XT line came out with the adjustable trigger. What is the first two digits of your serial number? You have a unique rifle! I like it!! Also, I forgot about this thread on Rimfire in which I posted: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414872 and also:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfires/73962-walmart-marlin-917vrx-buyer-beware.html

James

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Oh the XTR is a walmart only model and it came with adjustable trigger.
If you check out my link, the guy who posted, his rifle did not come with the factory adjustable trigger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's weird, I just saw on a marlin forum that xtr was a walmart branded serial. Weird, maybe a certain serial number break they started adding them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts