Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shotgun experts,

Recently acquired a Marlin 90 which I have fired on three different occassions. The first time was just to test it quickly after buying it. Both chambers fired without problem, maybe 10 shells total, and I was a happy camper, because it's a truly beautiful 12 gauge. Really like its heft and balance too.

The second time, however, the lower firing pin would -- about three out of four times -- plink without firing the shot shell. It left an imprint on the shell in all cases, but apparently was not strong enough to trigger the primer.

On the third outting, I thought I would try shooting after squirting some solvent in the firing pin hole to see if there might be some gunk slowing it down just enough to not fire the shell. But I decide to shoot a few first. Went through a box of shells without a misfire top or bottom!!!

Any thoughts, clues, theories appreciated.

I figure it still needs a good cleaning, but if anyone out there has had a similar experience with a M-90 or other O/U, I would like to know about it and how it was addressed.

One thing to note is that the second session was on a very cold damp evening, which I speculate might have really gummed up any long build up of gunk in the firing pin housing. Also considered that a slight bent firing pin might get slightly hung up in transit, enough of velocity reduction to produce the dud. But I would figure that would be consistent and unresolved until fixed.

Thanks,
lazer

·
Registered
496 Posts
I like your idea of giving the action a good cleaning. No telling what kind of crud is in there. Parley

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yep, a spray can of carb or brake cleaner will hose a lot of the accumulated crud away. Then use up a pound of clean patches or half a box of ear swabs to get the rest out. You could take it all the way down, but it's quite a chore to re-assemble! :shock: SW

G

·
Before I sprayed it with anything I'd take the barrels forearm and stock off . Then I would take Gunscrubber or brake cleaner and soak it and try to flush it ,shouldn't take but a couple minutes to dry if that long then take an air hose and blow it out really well. Give it a light spray of oil put it back together and run about 50-100 shells through it :!: Get a case of clay targets and a thrower $10 total and blast away :D My reason for that is if anything is hung up in the mechanism or sticky you should be able to loosen or move by the time you have run the shells through it :D And plus you can have fun shooting :!:

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6pt

Like the way you think. May just skip all that cleaning and jump right to the shooting!!!

thanks,
lazer

G

·
If you have any crap or gummed up stuff inside you need to loosen it up first :D I use to shoot a Remington 3200 at skeet and the way the internals are set up you could have similer problems :!:Use to be a reguler thing every month or so ,pull the stock off spray internals down with gun spray let dry give shot of light oil put stock back on and rock and roll. Normally when I was shooting heavy a weekend competition was 500 shots (12,20,28,410),and you would shoot 200-300 during the week in practice. So if you couldn't keep it shooting you were screwed :evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts