Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Marlin 883 in great condition both mechanically and cosmetically (with Weaver K-4 scope for $125) and have been searching for an Owner's Manual without much success. As most of you are probably aware, the Marlin site groups all bolt rimfire manuals into one and, being out of production, the 883 is not listed.

I suspect their "generic" manual will work, but is the 983 merely a renumber of the 883? Looking closely at the parts, I don't see a difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bunches Gunner ... just what I was looking for.

I searched for three days and found nothing specific to the 883 and you found it in a matter of minutes ... way to go !!

·
Premium Member
13,735 Posts
You sir are welcome. I checked Gun broker first since they usually have one or more but not today so I went to ebay. I have the 783 and love em. Yes, primarily they are a remake of the same gun with very minor modifications.

Here is a pic of my 783.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again, Gunner ... you have confirmed my suspicions and I agree ... these are great shooting guns.

Your 783 has prettier woodwork than my 883, but otherwise they look identical, right down to the scope and sling. Did you refinish your 783 or was it that shade when you got it? .. It does look great.

Thanks to you, too, Num_1_Dad ... that IPB graphic will come in very handy.

I appreciate all the time you guys have spent helping me out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa!!! Great stuff, Gunner ... I enjoyed seeing all your videos and I particularly like your Daughter's technique. She doesn't put her finger on the trigger until she's ready to fire and she stays in position well ... no wasted motion.

That's quite an arsenal you have there, by the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can easily see now why you had no choice but to buy that 783, Gunner ... great find. Someone took excellent care of a good gun.

Mine is not quite as pristine as yours, but I think that a light sanding and finish recoat this Spring will perk it up quite a bit.

Mine also came with a Weaver K-4 scope and although good, is not what I really like or am used to. I'll likely replace it with a shorter full mil-dot Leaper. Tacked a Leaper Mini on my Henry Lever 22 and really like it.

My 336A came with a Tasco variable that may get changed the same way.

·
Premium Member
13,735 Posts
I have Bushnell's on all but one of my rifles now and will eventually change that one out too. I have nothing against any brand that works. I just like mine to match so they are familiar when I pick them up to use.

My big bore rifles all have the 1.5 X 4 but my 783 has a 3 X 9 Bushnell on it. My 99C 22 has a cheap scope that doesn't match the rest - works just fine so not in a rush to change it out yet.

I was looking on GB late last week and almost bought an 881 that had an exceptional stock on it. $130 bucks I should have spent. Picture attached.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear what you are saying, Gunner and agree. All the scopes I have do work alright, but they are just not what I want so I'll eventually change them. I'm not in a big hurry about it, though.

That 881 looks like a good deal ... looks well cared for. Hard to turn down.

The link to passed to me on the 883 manual turned out to be a really good source for me. I found owner's and take down manuals for three other guns I have at good prices. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.