Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin 88 that was given to me by an older friend. It is in pretty heavily used, but still functional state. I took it apart and cleaned it (something I'll get back to in a second), and am looking to replace some things.

Firstly, the rear sight is missing its elevator and the front sight is pretty badly chipped. It looks like at some point it was drilled for a scope, but doesn't have mounts or anything. My first question is if Model 60, 915Y, 925/M, 981T, and 983T fiber-optic sights would fit the 8.6 mm dovetail front sight and the 10 mm rear dovetail. Specifically, I was looking at this set: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-fire-sights-prod26037.aspx?avs|Make_3=Marlin

Secondly, when I cleaned and reassembled it, I believe I placed the striker pin in backwards which jammed the gun and prevents me from opening the back end due to it blocking the push-buttons. I was wondering if someone on here could direct me in a good procedure to getting it fixed without breaking something or necessarily taking it to a gun-smith. (It would cost upwards of $150 locally before replacing parts.)

I appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm not very familiar with your rifle but there is a takedown tutorial on You Tube, maybe that will help. There is member here, "ArrowDodger", send him a PM, maybe he can help, very knowledgeable fellow.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The modern marlin rimfire front sights are not dovetailed in. They screw on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thegrayman, I have looked online and on YouTube but the only things I can find are for take-downs of functional weapons. :/ I will try to find ArrowDodger and send him a PM, thanks!

P-bass, thanks, that answers my question!

·
Registered
887 Posts
"by Bigdog » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:22 am
Howdy, sorry for coming in a bit late here.
I own a Model 88, and it has it's tricky bits.

1. First, make sure it's unloaded. This rifle has the butt-mounted tube magazine.
2. Remove the buttplate/magazine tube from the stock. Be careful - mine had been broken once and crudely rewelded!
3. Remove the barreled action from the stock - basic take-down screw underneath fore end.
4. With bolt forward, depress two side buttons in rear of receiver - you'll see two circular marks - these will press inwards. This is tricky to do, but with these two button pressed in all the way, pull the bolt retainer out the rear of the receiver tube. You'll find two recoil springs - make sure they remain in the same alignment - I'm not sure if they must be kept left/right, but they might not be swappable.
5. Pull bolt out.

This is as far as you should need to go. Reassembly is the reverse. Two things to be aware of . . .

1. It's hard to keep those two buttons pressed and get the bolt retainer back into the receiver - but go slow and careful!
2. The trigger operates on an odd tilting bar system - make sure it works properly before putting buttplate back on. The trigger pull is raher mushy, and I really don't see much way to improve it. It's an antiquated design.

As odd as this rifle is, it's a very good shooter - it puts my Ruger 10-22 to shame! I just wish it had scope grooves or a way to mount a peep sight. It's accurate enough to be worthy of better sights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts