Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys this is my first official post. I was wondering if any of you good people have made any custom stocks for you model 81DL.
I just wanted some opinions, facts, hints, and tips on the subject.

What type of wood would you use?
I was thinking walnut or oak.

As this is a tube mag gun how do you suppose I would make the groove for the barrel/tube magazine?

Thanks all for looking and posting

PS: while i have your attention. My 81dl has been drilled and tapped for a side scope mount. any ideas on how i would acquire a modernized scope mount that would fit the holes?
1211121554a.jpg
Here is a sloppy picture I had in the computer of one side of the scope. I'll try to get a more detailed picture up at a later time. Possibly in a new thread.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Well, a custom stock is not easy but can be done with a lot of patience and careful woodworking. Walnut would be preferred over oak. Oak is easier to find but very hard to work using
hand tools and would look somewhat unusual for a gunstock. I would suggest browsing the internet forums for tips and pics of how others have done it. There is a particularly good thread over on rimfire central on the Marlin bolt-action forum about a very talented fellow who made a beautiful stock for a Glenfield 25. Sorry I don't know the exact name of the thread. Try searching for "Glenfield 25 project rifle". If you are new to woodworking you might practice on a couple of pine 2X4's before taking a crack at an expensive piece of walnut. Good luck with your project and be sure to take pics so everyone can admire your work when its done.
I think the name of that forum is "Glnfld-25 Project Rifle". Lots of good info there. And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your scope mount looks to be a Weaver N mount, most likely a N3. This is easily replaced with a Weaver side mount base #2 and 1" side mount rings. The base will mount exactly to the holes already drilled and tapped for the existing base you have now. They're called a "high mount" and would possibly allow you to use up to a 44mm lens. I have a 40mm mounted like that and it has almost 5/16ths clearance. The only drawback I've noticed is that if your scope doesn't have enough eye relief to move it forward you may have to rotate the scope 90° to keep from hitting your knuckles on the turret when operating the bolt.
As far as making the groove for the mag tube I'd make a router jig and use a core box round nose bit. It will take a few passes to hog off that much material but will give you the desired cut. I dont think oak would be a good choice for stock material. It would be heavy as lead and harder to work with also after all the inletting etc. was finished it would have a tendency to crack or split due to the broad nature of the grain.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you look at the stock on an 81, (or 781, etc) you'll see that they are inlet for the most part with a large ball end mill or router. You could easily do the same thing, saving a lot of time and giving you plenty of excess wood to fit by hand. You could drill the mag tube hole the same way I do when building a flint gun and drilling the ramrod hole. I made a drill bit out of a long piece of oil hardening drill rod. I forged out a sorta spade bit out of it. It drills through the darned nastiest grained wood straight as long as you start it straight. Just an idea. I thing the factories used a small long shanked router bit and cut them, but drilling leaves the web of wood between the barrel channel and tube hole, giving a bit more strength to the stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts