Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone, newby here to the forum. Hoping someone can help me on this issue. My dad bought a JC Higgins (Sears) 22 cal rifle, Model 103-229 it shows on the barrel in 1957 or 1958. Pop passed away two years at almost 94, Army Vet from Burma China Theatre. I want to fix this up for my 13 year old grandson and keep in the family. I've cleaned it as good as I can, few small issues, but.

I believe from many posts I've read this is the same rifle as a Marlin 81, I think the Marline 80 was a different feed, but not sure. Seems to be a lot of contradiction on those two models and the JC Higgins. There's also a Marlin 80 or 81 D, which I have no idea what it is . That said,

I want to mound a scope, top mount on this guy for Gabe. Already has two bucks to his name and one doe on my small plot of land.

If the JC Higgins does cross to the Marlin 81, what mount, rings and low cost Scope, ala Weaver would be good or used. With everything locked down in Wisconsin, no gunsmiths to take to ask these questions.

I'm not much of a hunter anymore, as I had Shingles in my eyes over 12 years ago, so vision is blurry at best, so I don't hunt for that reason.

Thanks much for helping me out, part numbers, even places I can buy is truly appreciated.

Couleetdi

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome to the MO Forum from central ND! I don't know much about your rifle but I can guarantee that someone who does will be along shortly to give you some assistance.

My wife's Uncle served in Burma. He was one of the last men from this state known to be in the Army Cavalry! Heard lots of stories and have seen lots of pictures. Guys holding pythons and deceased jungle cats that roamed around. They were a unique group of men that served in those times! Hats off to men like your father for their service!

·
Super Moderator
15,728 Posts
There is a 103.229 on the crossover list that is a Marlin 81 but there is NO 103.299 on the list...

·
Super Moderator
15,728 Posts
I have heard that a Weaver 48402 will work... But I don't know this for a fact...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I typed in wrong model #, it is a 103-229. Thanks for leting me know, I changed the original post. I got word back from Marlin TS, said they have no record of that JC Higgins model cross. Wonder if another compan made it. Oh well

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Sears model 43 and ordered lifter parts from Numrich. Worked perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts