Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I've been told this gun is everything from a Steven's to a Winchester,Remington. I have researched to no end and I've finally decided it is a Marlin/Ranger. I am pretty sure I can see GER on the barrel after taking the rust off but no other markings, leading me to believe its a ranger, model 36 seems to be identical. This is a mag fed .22 i believe 7or 8rd mag 24in bbl....So that said my questions are .......

1)Can anyone positively ID this firearm

2)If this is a Ranger 36 will the Marlin 80 bolt fit

3)Does anyone have a bolt, or a complete gun for sale

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Welcome to MO.:biggrin:
I can see from the pictures you have a first model 80 (36) with no sliding trigger block safety on the right side of the receiver.

You will need a bolt from a 1935-1937 first model 80 that has the safety incorporated into the bolt.A newer model bolt "MIGHT" be fitted but you would have no safety.

First model safety,you pulled the cocking knob back past full cock and rotated it clockwise to engage the safety block on the side of the receiver.click to enlarge. ranger 21.JPG ranger 11.JPG

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Kansas! Thats a neat old rifle you got there! Looks like mudpuppy has got you all fixed up with the identification and parts info! These folks are great on here for helping solve problems and troubleshooting! Good luck with your restoration!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mudpuppy and dan I really appreciate it......I will have the old girl fixed up in no time. It belonged to my great grandfather and it got misplaced and rusted but I intend to fix it up and keep it for my son hopefully for another 70 80 years. The bolt you show is how I remember it with the cocking knob. I also seen that on gunbroker so I suppose I will buy it now that I have a second opinion.nThanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question......on numerich when you look at the bolts for marlin 80 or ranger 36 they are listed as Old Style and New Style......is assume the one I'm looking for is old style

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update I have acquired a marlin 81dl and tried to fit the bolt into the "mystery gun" and its clearly not a fit. It's my understanding that the 80models,81dl and the ranger 36 are interchangable so does this mean I don't have a marlin80/ranger36??? This is gonna drive me crazy! Well at least I got a sweet marlin 81 right......any input is appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts