Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after a bunch of research, I decided to go with the Marlin 795.

All the reviews I've read say that this is the most accurate out of box .22 rifle for the price.

I have never owned a gun before, so I was a bit hesitant to buy one.

Anyone have tips on maintenance and any upgrades that would be beneficial?
Also, just tips in general for a new gun owner?

My friend mentioned to never clean the crown of the rifle.

I have been very cognizant of gun safety and act as if it is loaded at all times, never pointing at anything I don't intend to shoot.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

Reactions: supergecko

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum from South Jersey

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Take it out and shoot it some. Come back here with any questions you may have. Shoot it first with the iron sights, then decide whether you want a scope. The MO forum will be generous with suggestions.

Remember that .22 accuracy can vary a lot according to the ammo. Try as many different brands as you can find, realizing that all .22 ammo is difficult to find right now. You will probably need a scope to tell the difference in accuracy among the diffent brands. I would suggest that you stay with 25 and 50 yards until you get familiar with your 795.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
760 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your new 795. Also, there is a lot of valuable info in the forums "Reference Library."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take it out and shoot it some. Come back here with any questions you may have. Shoot it first with the iron sights, then decide whether you want a scope. The MO forum will be generous with suggestions.

Remember that .22 accuracy can vary a lot according to the ammo. Try as many different brands as you can find, realizing that all .22 ammo is difficult to find right now. You will probably need a scope to tell the difference in accuracy among the diffent brands. I would suggest that you stay with 25 and 50 yards until you get familiar with your 795.

Enjoy!
I see. I shot with the iron sights at the range around 15-20 yards. Will try at 25-50 as well.
You're right about the ammo...the range shop told me they would only sell if I was shooting that day, otherwise they're not selling more than a box per person.

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Cleaning

Thanks! I'll look into those!
Hey SG,

Been remiss.

I use pudding containers (pink for wet, white for dry) for patch storage. .22, .38, .44-.45, 20ga. 12 ga... Go with the one piece SS cleaning rod. Saves a lot of grief, later. (and if you get a .22-250.....):biggrin: you are already set.:biggrin: (or .223, or 22 Hornet..................):biggrin:

Heck, a pic or two would "explain" it all. (.22's can be very "addicting"):biggrin:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey SG,

Been remiss.

I use pudding containers (pink for wet, white for dry) for patch storage. .22, .38, .44-.45, 20ga. 12 ga... Go with the one piece SS cleaning rod. Saves a lot of grief, later. (and if you get a .22-250.....):biggrin: you are already set.:biggrin: (or .223, or 22 Hornet..................):biggrin:

Heck, a pic or two would "explain" it all. (.22's can be very "addicting"):biggrin:

Later, Mark
very impressive! I'm definitely enjoying the 795. I appreciate these cleaning tips!
I'd really like to take care of mine, hopefully it'll be good to me for a long time.

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
very impressive! I'm definitely enjoying the 795. I appreciate these cleaning tips!
I'd really like to take care of mine, hopefully it'll be good to me for a long time.
Hey SG,

With a "modicum" of care, your grandchildren will be "learning" on that rifle. LOL

Take a look around, and see if you can find a good receiver sight for it. (you will wonder why any one uses it anything else) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
welcome from Texas

hope you enjoy the new 795

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Kansas!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome from PA. I have two 795s if that tells you what I think of them. Kept one as issued and put the other in a nice wood stock. For cleaning pick up a boresnake and clean from breach to muzzle. Most .22s don't need their bores cleaned that often anyway.

Good luck and good shooting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts