Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have owned a Marlin model 60 since the 70's and recently got a Marlin 795. I bought a pro mag 25 round magazine for it and had problems. With their magazine installed the bolt would not go fully forward. I took it to a gun shop and was told the rifle is fine and the problem is the magazine. I contacted pro mag and they said there were some defective magazines sent out. I have gone through 5 so far and all have the same problem. The Marlin OEM magazines are fine and allow the bolt to go forward. After looking into it more I found the problem. The magazine release assembly has a small tab on it. When the pro mag magazine was installed the tab would sit too high and block the bolt from coming forward. Has anyone else experienced problems with the pro mag 25 round magazine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is new out of the box. You can see where the tap has scratched the lower corner of the bolt so it is catching. The one side of the slot for this tab is slanted. Once I squared it off the opening at the bottom of the grove is wider and the tab now seats lower. When inserted in the rifle the bolt now comes fully forward when released. I do not understand why this is happening. Could be a part close to or out of tolerance in the magazine release assembly. I had the trigger assembly out of the rifle and could see the tab was not fully at the bottom in the magazine grove. It now seats fully down once I got rid of the slant in the groove. Maybe Marlin changed the specifications on the part. Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have read many, many times of problems with most all after market mags that work in the 70/795 semi autos. Lots of reviews on uTube. Best I can do is suggest you stick with factory 10 rounders.

CW

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good advice

I have read many, many times of problems with most all after market mags that work in the 70/795 semi autos. Lots of reviews on uTube. Best I can do is suggest you stick with factory 10 rounders.

CW
Thanks for the comment. I think you have the right idea. I will deal with the pro magazines I have modified but will stick with the OEM Marlin 10 round magazines. They seem to function as advertised. Thanks again!

·
Banned
457 Posts
many people have had to shave the ears down a bit on them ( magazine)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.