Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a sweet new Marlin 795 for my wife a couple of weeks ago. She loves it! I cleaned the action and barrel of any new residue, before we loaded anything into the chamber. We took it out to the Range the week before last, and together, we plinked about 150 rounds, with no FTF's, FTL's or FTE's.

After we returned from the Range, we cleaned all of the guns we shot for the day. We took the 795 back out to the Range this past Friday, and put about another 200 rounds through it. However, this time, we had 1 FTF (Failure To Fire), at least 10 FTL's (Failure To Load), and 0 FTE's.

The FTL's were odd. Now, my CHL Instructor always told us, that if you have a FTL, it's usually a Mag problem, 99.9% of the time. So, with that in mind, here's the skinny on what was happening:

I purchased 4 additional OEM Stock Marlin 10-Round Mags, so we could load 50 Rounds at a time, between the 4 Mags and the one that came with the Rifle, for a total of 5 Mags. Using a new Baby Uplula, designed for .22 Magazines, we loaded up all 5 Mags the night before we went to the Range. It took 2 minutes to load 5 Mags using the Uplula. Nice!

We went to the Range the next morning, and started our target practice, shooting paper targets at 25 yards. When my wife said she was out, I handed her another Mag. Then, I noticed, that the Bolt was still closed, and hadn't opened on the last shot. I opened the Bolt, and there was still 1 Round in the Magazine. I let go of the Bolt, to load the Round into the chamber. The Bolt slid right over the last Round (the 10th Round), and didn't load it. I pulled the Mag out, and saw that the bullet had a couple of scratches on it, where the Bolt tried to get it to load. Note, that the Round was seated all of the way back against the back of the Magazine, where it should be. The Round was too damaged to try and load it again, so we discarded it. She ran another Mag through the rifle, and the first 9 Rounds fired flawlessly, until we got to the 10th Round. Same thing... FTL. We experienced this with all 5 Mags that we had, which included the original Mag that came with the Rifle. Now, I number my Mags, so I can keep track of which ones may develop problems in the future, and also to make sure I cycle the Mags for even use and wear.

Throughout our Range time for the day, we had at least 10 FTL's, as stated above. Not sure why the 10th Round in the Mags Failed To Load. Each Round had a mark, where the Bolt at least touched the Round at some point and time.

The only FTF we had, actually had a mark on the Rim, but just didn't fire. We discarded that one safely down range, facing the two Berms on both sides, just in case it decided to prematurely fire after the fact.

FYI, we were using Winchester 525's, purchased from Walley World (Walmart's).

I'm wondering, if loading the Mags the night before our Range Day, may have over compressed the Mag Springs too much.

Any ideas or thoughts on this problem, would be most appreciated from you folks!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
538 Posts
Is the action adequately lubed? Have you ruled out any re-assembly errors after cleaning?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eli Chaps said:
You didn't over compress the mags leaving them loaded.

It does sound like a magazine issue to me. I don't know what an Uplula is but I assume it is a device to load mags, maybe that caused some kind of issue.
Ratdog68 said:
Is the action adequately lubed? Have you ruled out any re-assembly errors after cleaning?
As for the Baby Uplula mentioned, open this link, and click on the Baby Uplula pic. When it changes pages, click on the video to see how it operates.

http://www.maglula.com/

I can't figure how the Uplula would interfere with anything, as it only pushes the bullet down, to allow room for the next one to be loaded. I use one for my two 9mm's & 380, and neither one causes any Mag issues. Weird!

As for the Action, I didn't disassemble anything when I initially cleaned it. I just used Hoppes Cleaning Solvent with a Q-Tip, and cleaned any factory gunk out of there, and then ran a bore rod with a patch through the barrel. Should I have taken the Action apart?

However, I "DIDN'T" lube the Action, either time I cleaned it. I just cleaned it with the Hoppes, and blew out any leftover fluid with a can of compressed air. I'll give that a try tomorrow, and see how it does on the next Range Trip. I had lubed the barrel both times, but completely forgot about the Action. KNEW... I was forgetting something!
I'm so used to cleaning my handguns, the rifle is a new challenge to me!

Thanks for the info folks! I'll let you know how it goes on the next trip.

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have only used the factory mags. I have 2, one that came with the rifle and 1 I bought from Midway. I have not had a failure to load issue. I have had FTF, but I think that is from the cheap bulk ammo when plinking. I would run through a couple of magazine with the original magazine to see if the 795 has any issue with those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ronm said:
I would run through a couple of magazine with the original magazine to see if the 795 has any issue with those.
That's what's strange! As I mentioned above, I number my Mags. The one that came with the rifle, is #1. I cycled it through the rifle a few times, as with the others, and they all missed the last (10th) Round. It's got me scratching my head.

I'm going to do as Ratdog mentioned earlier, and make sure I lube the action and bolt before I fire it next time.

Thanks ALL, for the info!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
if it's a used 795, then the recoil buffer or load throat or both need to be replaced. disassembling trigger group can try your patience. maybe look into getting a new trigger group for about $50--half the price of a new gun!!! Also, use dry lube for the bolt instead of oil as oil tends to collect too much debris between the receiver and bolt. I gave up on my 795 and now use a 10/22 with no issues.

rimrock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rimrock said:
if it's a used 795, then the recoil buffer or load throat or both need to be replaced. disassembling trigger group can try your patience. maybe look into getting a new trigger group for about $50--half the price of a new gun!!! Also, use dry lube for the bolt instead of oil as oil tends to collect too much debris between the receiver and bolt. I gave up on my 795 and now use a 10/22 with no issues.

rimrock
No, it's a new rifle. I will take your suggestion and get some dry lube for the bolt.

Thanks!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Folks!

I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in, for their assistance! Lubing the Bolt & Action did appear to help minimize FTL's today. Here's the skinny. I shot 5 Mags through there today, each one twice, for a total of 100-rds. I had 1 FTFire, 0 FTE's, and only 4 FTL's, which is down at least 6 from last week's Range Visit. Of the 4 FTL's today, I was able to spin 2 of them in the Mag, and when I pulled the Bolt back, it loaded the round as it should have. The other 2 were scratched too badly, to risk running them through the gun, so I properly disposed of those. I did take a cell pic of one of the damaged rounds today, but it came out blurred, and you couldn't see the scratches where the Feeder tried to push the round into the chamber.

Anyway, the only two things that I did different from last week, was to lube the Bolt & Action, and whenever I loaded the Mags, I tapped them hard against my palm, back end first, to make sure the rounds were seated as far back in the Mag as they could go. Whether that worked or not is debateable, but I'm happier with the outcome this week, than I was last week.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond, and giving me some avenues to take to figure out a solution.

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I did notice with my 795 that it preferred velocities of 1200+ over velocities of 1000+. It liked CCI Minimags the best. My 795 was used, so I'm sure what I'll say will apply. When I got my new 10/22, there was some type of thick sealant in the receiver. It would not clean out with Hoppes or Ed's Red and took about 300 rounds to burn it out. Once that stuff was gone the gun cycled much easier. I wonder if something similar is in new 795 receivers.

rimrock

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought a used 795SS that only had one magazine, and have never had any loading problems with that one magazine. I've purchased 5 new factory magazines and have experienced some issues while using the new mags. I'm sure it was mainly a magazine break-in issue, since the problems seems to have minimized with use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts