Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to make this as brief as possible. Basically a few months ago my dad bought a Marlin 795 .22 to plink with and such. It was the first rifle we ever purchased. Few hundred rounds in, I decide to do the initial cleaning. Re assembling it, I was having trouble getting the recoil spring in. Long story short, the spring kinked and the guide was bent. We sent it to a gun Smith who got it back in. After we got it back, we put a few rounds in, and every 10-20 rounds, the round would dud. The round would still have a dent in it, and I opened it and found there was still gunpowder. So we call the gunsmith, and he tells us to switch from the ultra cheap rounds to CCI. I was skeptical because this never happened before we got it worked on. So today we tried the CCI and the same thing happened. We're calling the gunsmith tomorrow, but any advice or theories would help.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
What kind of CCI are you using? Blazer?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Check the barrel where the firing pin would hit if it were dry-fired. If it's peened (a little dent there) the back of the case can bend and not compress the clay-like medium which is used as a primer. A nice bright flashlight helps if your eyes are as old as mine ;-)

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
803 Posts
Save some of the fired rounds and post a picture of the firing pin strikes for us to look at. We can see if the firing pin is striking the rim properly by the mark it leaves behind.
Was this a new 795 or a used one?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Save some of the fired rounds and post a picture of the firing pin strikes for us to look at. We can see if the firing pin is striking the rim properly by the mark it leaves behind.
Was this a new 795 or a used one?
What I mean is, the rim needs to be pinched, not pushed. If there's a gap which allows the rim to move forward, rather than getting pinched, you can get misfires/duds. Generally you can put the bullet back in the gun with the rim rotated to a different spot and you'll get a fire.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 2 cents....

We see a lot of 795s in the shooting program I teach, I have two myself used as loaners. Usually the problem with misfires is the ammo. The Remington Golden Bullets and/or Thunderbolts are often the culprit as is some of the other junky stuff coming out these days. Second is dirt, crud etc in the firing pin channel down just enough not to hit the rim. In some cases dirt/grime slows the bolt down enough to cause the round not to chamber fully. The round when struck moves forward slightly rather than absorb a good strike on the rim with enough force. Finally since you seem to imply that misfires were not a problem before you kinked the spring and bent the guide rod I would guess that is likely the problem. The kinked spring and bent guild might have just enough resistance/drag to prevent fully seating/chambering a round on occasion. If it works most of the time it is not too bad of a problem.

If the spring and/or guide was not replaced, consider getting a new one. If the rifle is fairly new, call Marlin customer service and they might send you a new one for free on warranty. I broke the firing pin on one of my 795s and they sent me a new one even though it was my fault. TIP-Dont Dry Fire the 795! While you're waiting for a new spring/guide you might want to sand the guide rod or straighten it to smooth out resistance caused by it bending. Use emory paper and steel wool. Of course taking it apart caused the problem to begin it with so you might want to not screw around with it, Have your gunsmith put the new parts in it when they arrive.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Your gunsmith should have fixed it.
If it was me.
Send the components to Arrowdodger.
I guarantee you, it will be fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts