Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Model 795 recently so that both my sons and I each have a .22 rifle to take to the range on a regular basis. The 795 is a great shooter, but I wish the stock had a little longer LOP and beefier forend. Having two Boyds stocks already (Ross thumbhole on my Howa .308 and a tacticool stock on my ruger 10/22) I see that they offer several stocks for the model 60 and 795. How much wood working does it take to get a Ross RVT to work on a model 795?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tyler Durden thanks for the link. I was OK with the install until the inletting of the trigger guard :-[ I think I will be passing on a boyds stock until they make an actual finished/drop in model 795 stock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got out to shoot my new 795 and all I can say is WOW ;D This little rifle can shoot. I have a Ruger 10/22 w/ a fluted green mountain barrel, volquartsen target hammer and a Boyds Tacticool bedded and free floated stock. Shooting the same federal bulk pack .22 ammo the marlin's groups were only ~1/2" larger than the rugers. I like this rifle so much that I decided it needed a new Boyds stock cuz it's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my 795

There are a couple of ways to do the inletting - drill press, milling machine or chisel and mallet. I used the chisel & mallet, like my father use to say "I don't use hand tools because I'm a fine craftsman, I use hand tools because I make mistakes slower that way. Its not hard to do the work, it took me 3 hours (enough time to catch my mistakes).

·
Registered
734 Posts
I added a Boyd's Marlin 60 stock to my 795 and 7000.
It is easy work on a mill if you know a machinist and might cost you a lunch or 12 pack of beer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to used a drill to open up the mag opening and then hand tools to inlet for the trigger guard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my Boyds stock in today! One hour later the stock was inlet and ready for the rifle ;D I used a hand drill to open up the stock for the magwell and then a dremel to inlet the trigger guard area and clean up the mag well. Since I bought a factory second stock for $49, I still need to give it a final sanding and coat of polyurethane and then final assembly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
We pretty much beat this issue to death over at RFC...

The small thing that one has to decide is whether or not to plug the hole where the 60's mag-tube goes with a little wood
that can be cut out when you make the magwell hole.

Or you can leave it open to help with heat reduction...

I do HIGHLY suggest bedding, or at least pillar bedding the action, that way you have less issues with the SR-25-round mags.
If your action is always in the same place, the mags can be more easily tuned to the magwell...kind of important ;)

Isn't it great to know that you can use ANY Marlin 60 stock on a Marlin 795/7000 with just a little work?? :D

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Pillar-bedding is fairly easy too. There is a pretty good thread on this on Rimfire Central.

This is the rear pillar, you can get these little aluminum bushing at most hardware stores

This is the front post.

The best thing to glue them in with is JB Weld, put a thin sheen of shoe polish on any thing that you don't want glued permanently. After it is cured you can shape it with your d
Dremel tool - good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts