Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad sent his 783 home with me to clean it up and I was hoping to get some pointers from you experienced guys on what to do. It has been a truck gun most of its life and has a lot of heavy rust spots on all the metal. No pitting but its nasty! I was thinking I could take it down and use a chemical to strip all the rust off and re blue it? What do you guys recommend?
This is the gun I shot the most when I was a kid growing up so it saddens me to see it in such bad condition. I do believe its this guns fault that I have a love affair/borderline obsession with 22mag.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I'm assuming you're going to keep it. If it was mine and I've done a few of these. I like using BROWNELLS - ALUMA-HYDE® II. They have several colors. Doesn't require any special prep except degreasing and clean it, instructions are easy to follow. Here is a Win 30-30 I recently did. I also coated the stock. Found a guy who fell in love with it and opened his safe and said 'Take your pick".

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wanting to keep it original. Think I will start with break free CLP and give a rub down. Anything else work better for removing or dissolving rust?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Oil and stainless steel scour ball from like Big 45 or from most any kitchen wares section. HAS TO BE stainless to save what bluing might remain. The copper coated steel pads will scratch and remove the bluing you're trying to save. You might be surprised how much blue is under the rust crust. There are several bluing paste or liquids that can do a decent job of reviving an old friend.
Never use steel wool of any grade. Steel scratching colored steel has never been good. There are many proponents of steel wool because its always been done that way and no need to change now.
Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner
or

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm assuming you're going to keep it. If it was mine and I've done a few of these. I like using BROWNELLS - ALUMA-HYDE® II. They have several colors. Doesn't require any special prep except degreasing and clean it, instructions are easy to follow. Here is a Win 30-30 I recently did. I also coated the stock. Found a guy who fell in love with it and opened his safe and said 'Take your pick".
So what did you pick??

·
Super Moderator
16,036 Posts
And here all these years people have been using 0000 steel wool and oil, never messed up any of the guns I've done that with. I'm now hearing that bronze or brass wool is the way to go. Whatever you do...go lightly with the pressure!! Mr fixit

·
Registered
854 Posts
News flash, the world isn't flat.
Bronze will scratch the blue just like steel wool. You hold a barrel cleaned up with wool and one with stainless or brass, the wool one will show much more silver tint from from thinned bluing. I didn't mention using a brass shaving ball in that they're too difficult to find.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Glad to hear Breakfree CLP. I use it for cleaning and lube. Have heard Kroil works well on rust. Good luck as I used to have a 783 back in early 70s.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Naval Jelly was #1 , doesn't seem to be first choice now.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Like to see that 783 when fixed up. Mine had beautiful walnut stock gold plated trigger, sling, and scope. All for $75 back in 72. Got stolen and I was B/S. Still am happy with the 925M and the Ruger Compact. Gotta score more ammo.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am waiting to get all the supplies I need. I will have to post some pics for you guys. Its a rather ugly rifle right now the way it sits.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I stripped it down today and used the CLP and a copper scrub pad. It was amazing how good the CLP worked, I did some scrubbing and it cleaned up real good. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I am going to give it back to my dad tomorrow.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Glad to hear of it cleaning up real good. Guess that Breakfree CLP is good stuff. Being a previous 783 owner I can attest to the walnut and gold plated trigger if yours does have that feature. So many cleaning solvents out there it gets confusing as to what is best. Sticking with the Breakfree and Rem. Bore Cleaner right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts