Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was in one of the local pawn shops and spotted a Marlin rifle on the rack, it was a 783 mag.

My question is what is a reasonable price for one of these? They had it priced at $229.00 is that a fair price?

The gun had a scope and I would rate it at fair condition with a few marks on the stock.

·
Registered
825 Posts
IMO that is a great price. I like mine that I gave more than that for about a year ago.
You need to get back to that pawn shop ASAP and hope it's still there.

Reactions: 10acres

·
Registered
404 Posts
I paid $290 for my '77 just a few weekends ago at a show. With a Weaver fixed 4x and leather sling. I love it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My circa 1974 excellent condition Model 783 with 4X scope and web sling cost me $200.00 at a gun show two years ago. It was the last hour of the show and the vendor had lowered prices on all of his merchandise.

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
I stopped by one of the LGS that I frequent on my way home today. I should’ve just went home. There was a 1979 Marlin 783 on the wall that looked like it was new. This thing has not been shot very much at all. If they would’ve told me it had never been shot, I would’ve believed it. As I walked up they took it off the wall to show another customer. He made the mistake of handing it back across the counter to think on it. I snatched it up and put money down on it immediately, got to love 30 day layaway. $325 was the price, paid a little more than I wanted, but they knew they had a nice gun and weren’t going to give it away. Now I just have to wait until I can build my gun fund back up. I just bought a 308MX off of another MO member yesterday and that money was supposed to go for a 1894C that I’ve been waiting on. What is an addict to do? Also, there was a very nice 39AS on the wall next to the 783. I was trying to figure out how to get both, but just couldn’t swing both.

Reactions: turbobug

·
Registered
20 Posts
Way to go 10acres,......you won't regret that I promise. That's not a bad price for a pristine 783 I say. Do a trigger job on it and you will be ready. I have a 783 that I bought off gunbroker last year......I'm almost ashamed to say what I got it for.....and I was the only one that bid on it, but it wasn't near as nice as this one you have,.....but I got it for $125! It's in good shape but been carried around some. It's proven to be very accurate for a 22 mag. Do you plan to add a scope to yours? Congratulations on a sweet little rifle. Remember.....the joy of that rifle will remain long after the price is forgotten.

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
Way to go 10acres,......you won't regret that I promise. That's not a bad price for a pristine 783 I say. Do a trigger job on it and you will be ready. I have a 783 that I bought off gunbroker last year......I'm almost ashamed to say what I got it for.....and I was the only one that bid on it, but it wasn't near as nice as this one you have,.....but I got it for $125! It's in good shape but been carried around some. It's proven to be very accurate for a 22 mag. Do you plan to add a scope to yours? Congratulations on a sweet little rifle. Remember.....the joy of that rifle will remain long after the price is forgotten.
Thanks. You’re right, I’ll forget about the price soon enough. I do plan on mounting a Vortex scope on it. You should be ashamed, you stole yours.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I sold one in like new condition to my oldest son about 5 years ago for 125 dollars and when I mention buying it back he changes the subject real fast, he likes it. I traded a 783 and a beat up Charles Daley sxs for a mint win 9422M with a friend and he will be the first to say that the 783 is the most accurate rifle he has ever shot, he kills everything with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. You’re right, I’ll forget about the price soon enough. I do plan on mounting a Vortex scope on it. You should be ashamed, you stole yours.
Good deal.....I have a Vortex Diamondback on mine and it's just right. I'm going to strip the stock and refinish it,.....I can't stand it any longer. I may do a bedding job on the action as well. I've never done that on a tube fed action so this will be a learning experience if nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
Love the Diamondbacks. Post some before and after pics. Good luck, I plan on reworking a Glenfield Model 75 this fall. It’ll be my first attempt and a good learning experience also.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
I would sure like to find some of these shops, every one I have been in wants more than new price...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.