Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All- First post.

I've tried doing internet searches, and looking through various forums, and seem to be stuck. This is the case of the missing bolt!

I am in possession of my Grandfather's Marlin 782 22 WMR. When he passed away, Grandma must have been paranoid and hid the bold and the magazine. Nobody knew this until she recently passed away. I was given the 782, and the magazine was found....but not the bolt.

I have a friend who has a similar 782, and is willing to sell for cheap. He is telling me that his 782 is a .22 LR, not a .22 mag. Did they make a 782 in LR? And if they did- are the bolts the same for WMR and LR??

The internets have been less then helpful so far. I'd really like to get Grandpa's gun back to firing, as December 21st is my oldest son's 10th birthday, and I want to pass it down.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
817 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, and I'm sure someone will correct me here if I get this wrong, the 782 is only 22 WMR.
As I understand it's:

780 22LR Magazine fed
781 22LR Tube feed
782 22WMR Magazine Fed
783 22WMR Tube feed.

I don't know if the bolt is the same for all of those however.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Without looking in my Brophy Marlin book. The 782 and 783 were 22mag. The 782 had a mag and the 783 was tube fed. The 780 and 781 were 22lr. The 780 had a mag and the 781 was tube fed. So the answer would be no the 782 was not made in 22lr. I don’t think the bolts would be interchangeable between the two, but I’m not sure. You can always look online at Numrich for a 782 bolt. I would buy youR buddies rifle also, they are good shooters.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had 2 thoughts- as what I have read online is the same as the last 2 posts. The 782 is ONLY a .22 WMR. I am having an extreme issue finding just the bolt for the 782. So either my friend is mistaken about it being a 782.....or mistaken about it being a .22 LR. Either way, for $75....I'll take it. If anyone has any ideas as to where to get a complete 782 bolt assembly, please let me know. I have found them several places online, but are always "out of stock" or "sold". That is why I started looking for a complete gun to rob a bolt from.

Thanks for the good info guys!

·
Registered
817 Posts
To be fair to your friend, I recently picked up a 781 and am looking for the matching 22 WMR to go with it and I keep having to refresh my memory as to which number of the 780 series the one is that I'm looking for. I've also seen several in the area listed incorrectly as to which caliber they are, for instance one estate sale I was at had a 782 listed as 22LR but when I looked it over it was a 22 WMR so it doesn't appear to be an uncommon mistake.

The 781 that I have is a really good shooter which is why I'm keeping my eye out for the matching 783.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

Hope you can find that bolt you're looking for.

I'd sure give his house a good going over. Look in unlikely places, like between the joists in the basement.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Premium Member
6,372 Posts
Hello and Welcome from SC Pennsylvania!!! Good luck finding the bolt.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

Hope you can find that bolt you're looking for.

I'd sure give his house a good going over. Look in unlikely places, like between the joists in the basement.
I agree. OP, if you still have access to the home, I guarantee, there are hundreds of places you haven't looked. It could be folded up in some fabric sitting on a shelf. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts