Marlin Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Admittedly I know very little about firearms. I have a marlin 781. tube fed. bolt. I was running some snap caps through just to see how it cycles (no trigger pull). Every once in a while i would have the next bullet not get pulled up from the tube. i would push bolt back in and out and it would come up the second time. any thoughts on what the problem might be?

is there a way to clean the tube on these things or the tube plunger thing (is there a proper name for that?)

im planning on taking it to the range this thursday so i'll see how it shoots with live ammo. thanks for any advice

·
Super Moderator
16,871 Posts
here's a link for an exploded view of the 781:
http://stevespages.com/ipb-marlin-781-881.html
Not a gun repair person, but the 781 is not that complicated to work on, Make sure the gun in not loaded... First remove the bolt by pulling back on the trigger and pulling the bolt out the back of the action. Second, remove the screw holding the action in the stock. Third, remove the screw holding the lifter and cartridge guide in place, pay close attention to where everything is and how it goes together...pics are always a great reference when doing this stuff!! You should now have a clean shot for cleaning the barrel and if you remove the inner magazine tube you will be able to clean out the magazine tube as well. Your lifter might be sticking, clean everything out and lightly oil the pivot points of the cartridge assembly, lightly oil the bolt after you clean it as well, usually a drop or two of oil and then spread around with your finger does the job. don't forget to clean the face of the bolt. Good luck, take your time and you should be good to go. The above is what I just did on my 781, hope it helps. Mr fixit

Changed your title a bit to make it read correctly ...Welcome to MarlinOwners!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mrfixit. i'll give all that a try

another question. how do you separate the mag tube from the barrel. when i took it apart the first time i didn't see an obvious way to do this. does it need to be done. i was just looking to clean all the way around the barrel i think when i did my first cleaning upon receiving the rifle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
range report

went to the range today. was mostly testing out ammo. 15 rounds of each ..

15 - federal champion (all fired)
15 - remington thunderbolts (all fired)

safety is a little loose

After cleaning cycles perfect so far

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a model 781 and as I recall it primarily like Remington or Federal ammunition. I don't shoot mine because ammuntion cost weigh to much for .22 locally I can but a new box .45-70 for less than a 50 round box of 22. Federal runs about 38 bucks for 20. vs 40-50 it seems for .22 for 50 rounds. But enough on that. The best thing i would say is take off the stock. There is one scre in the forarm and two around the trigger guard. Take this off. There will be a spring on the lifter which could be worn out if it is not lifting shells. Or installed wrong. The safety at least on mine is annoying as all get out. I can not work the bolt with out setting it even after tightening the screw. I am not going to lie even though my grandfather gave me this gun at 12 I think I have not shot more than 2000 rounds through it. Why you may ask I am not a bolt gun fan. It is the only one I have ever owned or will own. The bolt comes out really easy you pull it to the rear and pull the trigger and it comes out. Now as far as taking one part you will need to find a really good breakdown for that. My sporting rifle dissembley guide did not recommend it at all. Sorry I can not be of more help. I like the rifle for accuracy but hate the action. Now if anyone wants to trade for a marlin model 39 I would be down LOL. it has a meaning I will never get rid of her. My son and most likely my daughter will learn to shoot on it. As my wife is 4 months and we think it is a girl.

·
Super Moderator
16,871 Posts
Auto part Engine Pipe Muffler Fuel line
Bumper Pipe Automotive exterior Auto part Muffler
Bicycle part
Glass bottle Wall Material property Glass Wallpaper
I'm not sure if the end of the spring actually is suppose to be where it is in the first pic, but everything works for me, you can also try that end on top of the block the screw goes through...might increase the lift on the lifter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.