Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you done any trigger work on the Marlin 717M2? I'd sure like to lighten mine up some.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With all the knowledgeable Marlin folks here, nobody knows anything about this rifle?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have one, and love it. Out to 100 yds, it's a death ray ! That said, the trigger, while useable, is awful. As far as I know, there's no aftermarket replacement that will fit it, and I don't feel confident enough to mess with it on my own so I just put up with it. I don't see them cataloged any more. It seems like Marlin dropped them, and I don't know why. For what I use 17 rimfire for I think it's got it all over the 17 hummer in terms of it's cost / performance ratio.

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Sarge said:
With all the knowledgeable Marlin folks here, nobody knows anything about this rifle?

Sarge,

I'm not sure, but you may be able to use an aftermarket Model 60 fire control system, if you can find one........ Rimfire auto loaders were never my interest, so I can't add any further info.

Redmist,

The 717MII's were discontinued because the ammo proved to be unstable. A good number of Marlin 717's blew up, cracking the stocks. For a while, we were replacing quite a few stocks.

I bought (4) 717's for myself and family members.............Mine blew, and only 2 are still running.
Personally, I think those 17 cal rimfires should only be chambered in a locked breech (bolt action) rifle......but thats just my opinion.....Wear safety glasses........

Tom

·
Registered
322 Posts
If it was an ammo problem, I'd think that might be a fairly easy fix (but what do I know?). I'd be more than willing to give up a few fps rather than stop production of a great little rifle and round.
I have only experienced one problem in about 400 rounds (so far) when my 12 yr. old grandson had a round rupture upon firing. Don't know if it was fully chambered before ignition or ??. Instant lesson for him in eye / ear protection at all times, and muzzle control / awareness. He got a little spray on his cheek, finger immediately off the trigger, and muzzle downrange. I complimented him for instinctively doing that boring stuff grandpa had hammered into his head for the last several years.
But, back on topic, is the Mod. 60 fire control system available as an aftermarket item - would Remington even know what I was talking about much less sell me one ?

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Redmist said:
If it was an ammo problem, I'd think that might be a fairly easy fix (but what do I know?). I'd be more than willing to give up a few fps rather than stop production of a great little rifle and round.
I have only experienced one problem in about 400 rounds (so far) when my 12 yr. old grandson had a round rupture upon firing. Don't know if it was fully chambered before ignition or ??. Instant lesson for him in eye / ear protection at all times, and muzzle control / awareness. He got a little spray on his cheek, finger immediately off the trigger, and muzzle downrange. I complimented him for instinctively doing that boring stuff grandpa had hammered into his head for the last several years.
But, back on topic, is the Mod. 60 fire control system available as an aftermarket item - would Remington even know what I was talking about much less sell me one ?
Redmist,

YES!......The round ruptures!...........thats exactly the way they go!....and usually that blows out the plastic trigger guard plate, and splits the stock........
Re: the fire control system, I was thinking if Rifle Basix offered an after market Model 60 trigger, it should be adaptable.

Tom

·
Registered
322 Posts
. ..so, it would seem to be more an ammo rather than a gun problem ? I agree then it should be limited to bolt actions or single shots, BUT how difficult would it be to change powder, or more likely, brass specs ? It wouldn't be the same kind of problem that it'd be if we were talking about the bazillions of rounds of 22's produced every year since the HM2 is a comparitively tiny market. I guess the bean counters figured killing the 717 was a cheap-, uh, more cost effective way out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just put up with the trigger. I did put a trigger shoe on it which helped some. I haven't had any problem with mine, but I haven't put very many rounds through it. I have 2 other hm2 rifles, so I may just sell this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts