Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So anyone here actually own one of them? Just how often do they rupture cases or whatever happens to them? I kinda am on the fence about getting one. I would like to have one in my collection. But if they are going to blow cases all the time. Probably do not need one.

I also kind of wander if the problem could be fixed by weighting the Bolt somehow or some kind of other way I could think up once I had one in my possession..

I have to wander just how extensive the problem could have been. I would think Marlin would have did extensive testing before releasing them and would have know the problem existed in testing. Or did they know and put them out anyway? Have to wander that I guess. Thanks

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
The problem was with the way the early batches of brass were produced. They could or didn't anneal the brass correctly. The case necks would crack in the boxes without ever being opened. I sent 8 boxes into Hornady for replacement. I haven't shot much lately, so I haven't looked at the rounds in a good while but Hornady rep told me they had resolved the problem. I own the Savage MKii version.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read of the problems too with the old ammo when the round first came out. Hopefully the newer ammo solved the problem. I have also read you need to keep the chamber really clean.

Just does not seem to be alot of owners of these out there.

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Nice looking rifle congrats. Mike

Reactions: sharpsdressedman

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Nice looking rifle congrats.

Reactions: sharpsdressedman

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I might have made it back on the sight finally.

I have shot three mags so far and no Kaboom,LOL

All the fired cases look perfectly normal too. I have read too that alot of these were sent back to the Factory and destroyed by Marlin. Any truth to that? If so that may explain why they do not come up for sale too often.

I also read somewhere that they changed the Powder in the rounds too. I think they were using something other than regular .22 rimfire powder and changed to a normal 22 Long Rifle Powder. Just not alot of good info out there on these little Rifles.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Post a pic of a mach 2 please. I've never heard of the mach 2...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have to apoligize. I did not have the Model in the title at first. it is now. But it is the only semi auto chambered in the 17 Mach 2 round that Marlin ever made.

Heres a pic and a photo of the itsy bitsy round next a 22 Long Rifle round. In case you are not familiar with the 17 Mach 2 round either.

Sorry disregard the top photo, trying to figure out this new format. It is of course not a Mach 2,LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your Welcome

I kinda wish I could find more info on these. How many made. How many sent back in and scrapped by Marlin and such. Bet alot were sent in for repair and were never returned by Marlin. Probably gave em a new 795 in return,LOL

I am guessing alot of them never even left the Marlin factory after being made, and scrapped before they were even sent out and sold.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered 500 rounds of new production Hornandy 17 Mach2 the other day. Just aheads up that I bought it from Red River Reloading. With shipping it came to 79.00, or around 8.00 a box.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been shooting the 717 some more. I put a new recoil spring in it. I bought a Mcarbo 18.5 pound one. I think the original is 14 pounds. I think that will go a long way in assurring no kabooms. That and the fact that I still firmly beleive the reported Kabooms were early ammo related.

I also have another theory as to why they may have kaboomed at all. I think alot of people insist in running a semi auto rimfire with a wet lube. Bad mistake in my opinion in any rimfire. Especially a semi auto one. You get a instant gunk and slurry mess in a rimfire if you use wet lube. That alone can contribute to many unnecessary headaches.

I only run dry lubes in my rimfires and have many a years. No gunk buildup, and no function problems in doing so. Long times between cleanings and much easier to clean. I usually just spray in a little more dry lube. Wipe things down and ready to go again when it does become necessary.

With the newer ammo, dry lube and the heavier spring. I am not worried at all about a kaboom. But will let you know if I have one though. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts